Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
470 Posts
You do NOT want the pat down. Pat down is a lie, its a squeeze down that can turn into a strip down, and hasn't happened to me but even a FULL body cavity check. And no, they won't allow you to request a female does it, it has to be same sex, as that somehow makes it less invasive. Just try not to yelp.

The body scan sucks from a privacy standpoint, but the government has people so outright frightened with this constant terrorism fear mongering that there is no way its going away.

I just wish they would have spent some of those trillions in mostly wasted Obamabucks to actually build a high-speed rail system between major cities, but nope.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
As I'll be entering the Land of the "Free" in September, I might encounter this.

I watched a film once where a guy was "searched" by a rather buxom lady. I hope it's like that.

To an extent, I agree with Duckman. It's a good excuse to frighten people even more.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Because I have an metal hip, I get the full pat down every time I fly. If I got to choose I wouldn't have it. I don't get to choose. It's not that big a deal.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I've been on a plane once, on a trip to CA, and that will be the one and only time for me. I'm quite happy with my two feet on the ground, and in my own little corner of the world. I have no desire to travel any further than what we can actually drive.

Personally though, if I was in the situation, I'd opt for the scan.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
But it is sexual harrassment if it were the other way around.
I think the answer is to offer fliers a choice. We should get to pick our searcher. Maybe the TSA could post pics of who will be available at each gate on each shift.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The airports are going to be busy enough already, so why be a complete buttmunch and screw up people's travel plans. Why can't they choose some other Wednesday to screw up where it won't make people late for the turkey.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Hmmmm....I'm on the other side of the fence. Those body scan pictures aren't like Playboy centerfolds. You've probably seen the pictures, but they're more like shadowy figures without any real body detail. I truly don't care if some guy I can't see, in another room, is looking at some shadowy picture of me. Of the thousands of people he'll see in a day, I really can't stand out much.

I've never had a patdown of any kind, but I imagine I'd just grin and bear it and move along. It's not really fear mongering, as far as I can see. We had the shoe bomber, the underwear bomber, and recently the bombed packages sent from Yemen to Chicago. We really can't afford to relax.

·
Banned
470 Posts
I've been on a plane once, on a trip to CA, and that will be the one and only time for me. I'm quite happy with my two feet on the ground, and in my own little corner of the world. I have no desire to travel any further than what we can actually drive.
How would you know if you do or don't like banana split icecream though if you've never tried it?

There are some pretty sweet places to see. Great wall and Three Gorges Dam, pyramids, beaches in Spain (probably more exciting for the guys though heh), castles in Germany like Neuschwanstein, Eifel Tower, awesome resorts at Bali, etc.

This is my dad's airplane, Fairchild 24, big ol' school airplane. Fun fun! :)

Statistically speaking, flying is much safer than driving per mile traveled.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I have flown, but I'm not a happy flyer. If I go to Gt. Britain, it will be by ocean liner. I don't know what their procedure is. If they demand a search, I'd opt for the scan.

My sympathies to those who had the body search. I understand and appreciate the need for tighter security. Before 9/11, we were asleep at the switch.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The scan is the default (where they have the machines). If you refuse that they pat you down.

I think some people are just acting out. Aren't there better things to complain about.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I think some people are just acting out. Aren't there better things to complain about.
I agree. The same people who are carping about the new security measures will be the first to complain about lack of security the next time something happens!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It isn't just a matter of how quickly one can get through an airport. The body scans are bogus. It can't tell if you have something in your bum. Huh?? Don't you think if you where a terrorist that's exactly where you would hide something. Dh and I have been pulled from line twice. The pat downs were nothing. Now I'm hearing the pat down isjust short of groping. Has anyone ever been groped on a packed subway car or what about a women that has been a victim of rape, how do you think she would feel, or a child..I don't even want to go there. I'm disgusted and this is just one more thing being thrust on the public in the name of a "larger cause"

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
. It can't tell if you have something in your bum. Huh?? Don't you think if you where a terrorist that's exactly where you would hide something. "

They have several approaches to checking that too. And that's been around for a long time for international fliers.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts