Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I posted here - quiet life for the most part. The last few nights however Dory has started pawing the walls and mirrors in our bedroom at night (not scratching), as well as trying to open drawers and the closet doors. At first I thought it was because she was out of dry food (free feeder). Then we thought she might need to go out (slightly neurotic and sometimes needs to go out for a few seconds just so she know she can). But it doesn't seem to be either - we've left the cat flap open the last couple of nights, and she has plenty of food and water. She did settle on the bed again one night after we fussed with her for 10 minutes or so but that doesn't seem to be it either.
Anyone had a similar experience or know what this might be? The 4am, 5am, 5:30am and 5:45am wakeups are starting to grind.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Its been a while since I posted here - quiet life for the most part. The last few nights however Dory has started pawing the walls and mirrors in our bedroom at night (not scratching), as well as trying to open drawers and the closet doors. At first I thought it was because she was out of dry food (free feeder). Then we thought she might need to go out (slightly neurotic and sometimes needs to go out for a few seconds just so she know she can). But it doesn't seem to be either - we've left the cat flap open the last couple of nights, and she has plenty of food and water. She did settle on the bed again one night after we fussed with her for 10 minutes or so but that doesn't seem to be it either.
Anyone had a similar experience or know what this might be? The 4am, 5am, 5:30am and 5:45am wakeups are starting to grind.

i'm sorry, i don't know what this means but my cats do it too. mine do it to the mirrors and tv screen but their very favorite place is the bathtub. i have never thought about why they do it other than it must feel good or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could it be that she has 'trained' you and knows that once she starts doing this, you will get up and give her attention? That is what my Mikey does - he paws/scratches at something and occasionally starts pushing things off counters and shelves in order to get me up :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Miley scrabbles at the window. Drives me nuts. And Ollie pushes thing off to make noise. I think they do it because they're bored and because they can.... especially if it gets you up. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be that she has 'trained' you and knows that once she starts doing this, you will get up and give her attention? That is what my Mikey does - he paws/scratches at something and occasionally starts pushing things off counters and shelves in order to get me up :)
Entirely possible. Although last night she was entirely normal - slept on the bed all night. (sigh)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts