Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured since I made an official "About Me" post, that I would post pics of all my current pets so ya'll could meet them too. :)

Ya'll know Samantha and Rochelle already. I love it when they cuddle!

Rochelle has a new hidey-hole...the cabinet in my computer desk, hehe. I've since put a blankie in there for her, and she's just loving it.

Beautiful little Alice, the 10 month old tortie I just rescued from a nasty situation a few days ago.

My gorgeous Siamese Fighting Fish, Bronson. His color is called Dragonscale, and this picture does not do him justice at all! He's pure white with bright red.

My Chilean Rose Tarantula Edgar saying "Hello!" We've had her for nearly 6 years now, and she's just a wonderful little spider.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a very interesting assortment! I've had dogs, fish, hermit crabs & a skink before, but never a tarantula!!
A skink! I've owned newts before...I just love those little guys.

Tarantulas are amazing pets. I used to be deathly afraid of spiders...like I'd stare at a dark spot on the ceiling for up to 15 minutes just to see if it moved...I was pretty bad. :oops: Then I stopped into one of the mom-and-pop pet stores in the town where I worked, and I saw this rather large spider in a way too tiny plastic cage (it was a .5 gallon and she could barely turn around in the thing!). So I asked the owner what her deal was and he told me she was traded in for a younger tarantula...she was an unwanted pet. I felt so bad for her in that tiny cage, that I bought her on the spot (even though I was really freaked out by her size!), and got her a nice big home with plenty of floor space to move around in. Since I've had her, I've gotten over a large part of my spider fear, and I hold her on an almost daily basis. I love to watch her spin webs in her cage and watch her molt her skin. She's just been a real joy, and I owe it to my Edgar for getting over my fears. :) The reason she's got a boy name is because when we first got her, we had no idea how to tell the gender of spiders...we then realized we had a girl, but the name stuck. :p

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A skink! I've owned newts before...I just love those little guys.

Tarantulas are amazing pets. I used to be deathly afraid of spiders...like I'd stare at a dark spot on the ceiling for up to 15 minutes just to see if it moved...I was pretty bad. :oops: Then I stopped into one of the mom-and-pop pet stores in the town where I worked, and I saw this rather large spider in a way too tiny plastic cage (it was a .5 gallon and she could barely turn around in the thing!). So I asked the owner what her deal was and he told me she was traded in for a younger tarantula...she was an unwanted pet. I felt so bad for her in that tiny cage, that I bought her on the spot (even though I was really freaked out by her size!), and got her a nice big home with plenty of floor space to move around in. Since I've had her, I've gotten over a large part of my spider fear, and I hold her on an almost daily basis. I love to watch her spin webs in her cage and watch her molt her skin. She's just been a real joy, and I owe it to my Edgar for getting over my fears. :) The reason she's got a boy name is because when we first got her, we had no idea how to tell the gender of spiders...we then realized we had a girl, but the name stuck. :p
I know what you mean about the small cage. My aunt used to bring her pets over whenever she went on long trips, including a tarantula named Fluffy. My mom was and still is scared of spiders, but she had to take care of Fluffy who was about 1/2 the size of her "vacation" cage. My poor mom got a baster to change Fluffy's water with so she wouldn't have to stick her hand into the small cage!!

A newt sounds neat. I liked my skink (Izzy) although she wasn't very interactive. She would just sort of stare at me while I was doing my homework, but go hide as soon as I looked at her. Here's a picture:

She was kind of a chunky girl- liked the crickets a bit too much ;)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a pretty girl! I think skinks are awesome, although I've never owned one. Just newts in tropical fish tanks, and a couple of leopard geckos (which I adore!). ;)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, yeah thats usually the reaction poor Edgar gets when I show her pictures (and thats my favorite most non-threatening one!). But really she's incredibly friendly, I hold her almost every day. She's around 7 inches in size, so she's pretty hefty.

Here's another picture of her on my arm from when we first got her...she's grown quite a bit and is now more than hand-size. :D

****SPIDER PIC ALERT (lol)!****

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
You hold her?! For me that would be yuck, yuck, yuck! But, if you like her, that's great. What do your cats think of her?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You hold her?! For me that would be yuck, yuck, yuck! But, if you like her, that's great. What do your cats think of her?
Yes I do, and believe me when I say it took me a long time to get up the courage to do so! I think I've come a pretty long way from freezing up each time I even thought a dark spot was a spider to actually holding one. ;)

The cats don't really get too much one-on-one interaction with her. I'm really worried they might think she's a toy, especially with Rochelle... >.> They do however like to crawl on top of her cage, and watch her move around in there. :cool

·
Banned
470 Posts
My cats usually love catching and eating spiders they find in my house.

Pretty sure that relationship would be in reverse with your big spidey though hehehe! :wink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts