Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the advice from many good people here, we got Peanut a collar with a bell on it. It's got a jolly-roger on it, so it's hardcore. lol. But Peanut hates it. He's been trying to get it off since we put it on him. How long does it generally take for a cat that has never had a collar on to get used to said collar and chill out?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
And why is he wearing a collar?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

Perhaps you can try to put the collar on for short periods of time at first to get him use to it.
For instance, put it on him for about 10 minutes, time during which you actively play with him, either with a "ball on a string on a stick", the typical fishing rod toy. or have him chase one of those lazer pointer lights around.
As soon as yo are done playing, remove the collar. Do this a few times a day for about a week, as when he plays, he will''forget'' he is wearing the collar...Then, slowly keep the collar on for a bit longer, and when he tries to take it off, or shows signs of irritability, start playing with him again.
If he associates the collar with a fun time, and a good experience, he will likely tolerate it more than if you just put it on him and expect him to keep it on.
Since you mentionned that he resents it, it would be a good idea to not leave your cat alone with the collar, or to leave it on him overnight, as he may try to remove it and injure himself by doing so.

sandyrivers

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Oh yes, I remember now.....so is Chinchilla hearing it? and does it make a difference for her to know he's coming after her?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yes, I remember now.....so is Chinchilla hearing it? and does it make a difference for her to know he's coming after her?
It actually has. Either he's too busy trying to get the collar off to bug her or if he tries, she hears the bell and is one step ahead of him. Still growls at him, but she gets the upperhand at least. I think he's starting to get used to it, although earlier today he bit me hard enough to warrant a time-out. So he's a mad boy today.

·
Registered
120 Posts
In the past it has usually taken a few days for our cats to get used to their collars. Even though all of our cats are indoor only and microchipped I am so afraid they are going to get out one day. To me the more identification they have the better chance for them to come back home.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i like to put my name and address on a charm on the collar, so all my cats have always worn them. however, houdini (2 yrs. old) tugged at his collar. no matter what kind i put on him, he always managed to get it off so he could play with it. i only had ones with bells on his since i hadn't gotten his name charm made yet, but i just gave up. they're all on a break, and no one is wearing necklaces.

maybe some of them never get used to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts