Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got Malto two days ago. The originals owners had given him to my neighbours to babysit for about a week and a half and its been over a month now. Their child is allergic so they put the kitty outside, I offered to take him. The original owners might come back and they might not.

The food they gave me to give the kitten was Friskies Special Diet for adult cats and a cup of milk. I was a little shocked, but english is their second language so maybe they didn't read the can well enough. I replaced the cans with the same brand but for kittens too and am now giving him water. I think he might have been having diarrhea because is anus is swollen and a little red..it's not lying flat down like a regular cats. It's poking out, like his nose would. Is there anything I can rub on the area? I took the kitten with the idea of just feeding and sheltering until the owners come back. I don't have the money for a vet at the moment. Is there a clinic who will check him out? will the SPCA have a look at him? How can I find out where to take him? Yes...I did google it and all the other questions I am asking. Nothing that helps much.

His stomach is a little big, but babies have big stomachs and I am wondering if its ok. He carries on normal and doesn't cry when he poops.

I fed him chicken breast the next morning after reading the warning of not feeding it to kittens on the can. His poop was hard and dark brown. Now that I am giving him the replaced ca/kitten food his stool is soft and light brown. Should I go back to giving him chicken breast?

As for the litter they gave me it was clumping litter and I google it and found out it was bad for kittens. It also clumps to his litter hind leg when he accidentally steps in the mess. Can I just get some dirt, I figure sand might irritate? I mean isn't that what they use in the wild?

He needs a bath, he keeps stepping in his soil. How do I hold him?

This post is long enough now. Sorry, I just have a lot to ask. Could I maybe call a vet and talk over the phone? Will they help? or the SPCA?

-sorry for typos

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
So I just got Malto two days ago. The originals owners had given him to my neighbours to babysit for about a week and a half and its been over a month now. Their child is allergic so they put the kitty outside, I offered to take him. The original owners might come back and they might not.

Thanks for stepping up to look after this kitty....but it may end up being yours.

The food they gave me to give the kitten was Friskies Special Diet for adult cats and a cup of milk. I was a little shocked, but english is their second language so maybe they didn't read the can well enough. I replaced the cans with the same brand but for kittens too and am now giving him water. I think he might have been having diarrhea because is anus is swollen and a little red..it's not lying flat down like a regular cats. It's poking out, like his nose would. Is there anything I can rub on the area? I took the kitten with the idea of just feeding and sheltering until the owners come back. I don't have the money for a vet at the moment. Is there a clinic who will check him out? will the SPCA have a look at him? How can I find out where to take him? Yes...I did google it and all the other questions I am asking. Nothing that helps much.

The kitten should be seen by a vet, either through the SPCA or a Rescue organization, if you cannot afford to pay for a vet yourself. It sounds it might possibly be beginning of "rectal prolapse". I would feed him food that keeps his stool soft, as you don't want him straining to poop. Have you observed that he strains to poop?
http://www.petplace.com/cats/rectal-prolapse-in-cats/page1.aspx

His stomach is a little big, but babies have big stomachs and I am wondering if its ok. He carries on normal and doesn't cry when he poops.

Kittens shouldn't have "big stomachs". That's usually an indication of roundworms. Intestinal parasites can be associated with a protruding anus.

I fed him chicken breast the next morning after reading the warning of not feeding it to kittens on the can. His poop was hard and dark brown. Now that I am giving him the replaced ca/kitten food his stool is soft and light brown. Should I go back to giving him chicken breast?

I would use the food that give him a soft stool. And yes, water is correct, no milk.

As for the litter they gave me it was clumping litter and I google it and found out it was bad for kittens. It also clumps to his litter hind leg when he accidentally steps in the mess. Can I just get some dirt, I figure sand might irritate? I mean isn't that what they use in the wild?

The reason for saying clumping litter is "bad for kittens" is that some kitties eat it and it becomes compacted in the colon and then it's difficult for then to poop it out (also could be a reason for his protruding anus). Use a non-clumping litter to be safe.

He needs a bath, he keeps stepping in his soil. How do I hold him?

Just wash his feet in a sink with a little very warm water, and use an old washcloth or towel with some soap, and make sure the feet are well rinsed afterwards and towel dried. Control him by holding him by the scruff of his neck.

This post is long enough now. Sorry, I just have a lot to ask. Could I maybe call a vet and talk over the phone? Will they help? or the SPCA?

-sorry for typos
Hope you'll give us an update. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I should have added that the Malto needs to be wormed. Don't use over-the-counter worming products. Take a stool sample to vet and have it analyzed and vet will give you specific medication for the intestinal parasites.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I say if they haven't come for him in a month, they are not planning to ever come back for him.

I think if you take him to the SPCA, they might be able to look at him, but they may only do so if you give him up because you can't afford his medical expenses.

It's good that you at least switched him to kitten food, but a higher quality food would be even better, but I understand if you can't afford it.

That's good that he doesn't cry when pooping, but he definitely has something wrong with him for sure.

The protein in the chicken is probably more digestible than the wet food, but I would agree to keep him on the wet for now because it keeps his poop soft and easy to pass.

They make litter out of corn, paper and wood that is all safe for kittens. You can find it at your local petstore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to put up some pictures either tonight or tomorrow. A picture says a thousand words after all. He wont sit still to let me take a good picture of his bum. He wiggles around and meows and then i feel guilty for having him belly up like that so I just put him back. I went out and got some non clumping litter. He used it immediately, no problem. He doesn't struggle to poo at all. Can I use handsoap to bath him? I dont have any pet soap and I dont want to buy any just yet. How the I dry him off? Can I towel dry the leave him to air dry? Or will the blow dryer be too scary for him?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Don't feel guilty taking pics of him, if you took him to the vet, I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy about it, but it'd be for his own good.

Glad to know the non-clumping worked well. :)

You must use a towel. He's too young to be allowed to dry off on his own, he could get hypothermic. You could try a blow-dryer, but I expect it will only scare him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can i use hand soap on him? i am thinking t o just wash his little feet this time.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
You might want to try Dove dishwashing liquid, which is commonly used for animals. You can also use hand soap. Just make sure you rinse off any soap properly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great that you are taking care of him for now. He wouldn't have survived without your care. <3

His litterbox behavior sounds fine now.

For washing, you could try some baby shampoo as well, it's quite cheap :)

He will need a vet somehow. I really hope you can find some sort of free service. if not, maybe you can try to get some friends/family to donate some money for him.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
I think Susan means Dawn dishwashing liquid. It's safe for animals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just added the pics to my album for now. Please have a look and let me know what you think, especially about his bum.

Also when can I put him on dry food? He's over 6weeks old.

I am concerned, he poops every time I feed him, thats normal?

OMG! he just started cleaning himself just now! Wow!

Bleck! he just pooped a few minutes ago...no kisses for him 0_o

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Dry food will make his stool too hard. I wouldn't risk it, as it will make him strain to poo. Best to keep him on canned food. Pooping after a meal is normal for a young kitten.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Awww....he's such a cutie!

You mention he's over 6 weeks...are you sure about that? He doesn't look that old to me...

Food: Definitely a kitten or all lifestages wet food. Plain chicken isn't a balanced diet for kittens. In fact, adult cat food is better than plain chicken.

His butt: The photo doesn't look too bad, it may just be the result of having diarrhea. It may also be related to having worms. All kittens need to be dewormed (2-3 times) and based on his history I doubt that has happened.

His belly: Again, worms may be the cause of a fat belly. Kittens also tend to go on an eating binge, get a fat belly and then have a growth spurt, so it could be that as well. Or combination.

Free vet care: Doesn't really exist. There are a few shelters/rescues around that will help people, but they're few and far between. I wouldn't count on that for help. He'll also need his first kitten shots in the next couple weeks (if he really is 6 weeks old). So you need to plan on a vet visit if you're going to keep him.

Cleaning himself: At his age, his mom would normally still be cleaning him. Kittens don't really get good at keeping themselves clean until they're 4-5 months old. It gets better and better as they age, but you'll have to help him out for quite a while. Dawn or baby shampoo are fine. With Holly I found it was just easier to put an inch or two of luke warm water and a squirt of shampoo in the bathroom sink. Dunk her feet and wash them. Then fill the sink with clear water and dunk again to rinse.

And a piece of unsolicited advice...when kittens are separated from their mother too young (less than 12 weeks) they don't learn social skills (which they don't really start learning until their 6 weeks old). So they tend to claw and bite without knowing that they can hurt you. So...don't play with him with your hands. And start clipping his nails now so he's used to it from a young age.

Good luck....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think he is. He has his canines, all his incisors (tiny but they're there) he also has molars. All very tiny but he has them. The chart I looked at said he should be about 6 weeks. Right?

How should I play with him then?

clip his nails?!! oh dear oh dear, he wiggles too much, i'd probably pass out with anxiety. ha!

I am trying to search for clinics that give free exams. are free fecal tests few and far between too? I wanna at least, know for sure, what's going on and then move from there. I am googling my fingers off. I take the bus so I can just go to different clinics and check them out *sigh*

...should I be moving this to a different section of the forum?

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you are able to get a good enough look in his mouth to see all his teeth, it cant be that hard to clip his nails.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Speaking from experience, there's a huge difference between looking in a cat's mouth and clipping their nails.

·
Registered
801 Posts
They are both things a cat really hates, so.. *shrug*

It's impossible for me to look in my cat's mouth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts