Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my cat for almost 1 year now and lately, I've been having disciplinary problems with her. At first, all i had to do was yell loudly or hiss back and her and she'll stop whatever she's doing, but after awhile she would pee and poo (because she was frightened)...and was very annoying but I figured it wasnt something I could control. But now she's taken to peeing and pooing on purpose when she knows she's done something wrong! Recently, my boyfriend put her in a cage (as a time out zone) after she did something wrong, but almost immediately, she peed in the cage! So I took her out, gave her a bath, washed the cage and put her back in, and she did it again! And now, I dont even need to scare her or yell at her, all I have to do is open the cage door and she'll pee/poo! (even if I just wanted to give her fresh food and water!)

So now I've put kitty litter on the cage floor so that hopefully I can recondition her into only peeing and pooing where there is litter. I'm afriad to let her out right now because all she will do is purposely pooing and ruining that carpet.

Has anyone have a similar experience or suggestions for me to try in order to stop this strange behaviour?

(By the way, I know she is doing it on purpose because I see her contracting her pelvis on purpose)

·
Registered
185 Posts
This poor kitty sounds very stressed out. You state she poos and pees out of fright. What is being done to frighten her so? Is she spayed? Are there other cats in the house frightening her and/or keeping her from her litter box? Is her litter box easily accesible? Covered or uncovered?

This is very abnormal sounding behavior. Has she been to a veterinarian recently for evaluation? Sorry for all the questions! It is hard to tell what is going on without being there myself :lol: I would use a physical exam at the vets as a starting point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She used to pee out of fright..I dont know why this is so. She gets ample hiding spaces throughout the apartment and I have never done anything to frighten her except for the use of noise. She has a covered litter box.

Note that she is doing it purpose now. Not out of fright but more of an aggression thing. She'll hiss, growl then poo, when she feels frightened...even if we're simply walking towards her direction. At first, she would only do so if it was my boyfriend who frightened her and I assume it was some kind of involuntary response to him...but today, she did the same thing to me while my boyfriend was out..and I wanted to do was to give her some fresh water and put it next to her.....

I dont know why she's so frightened. I've tried talking very soothingly when I go up to her...but she still seems upset....

·
Registered
185 Posts
How old is she? I still say see a vet. I made the mistake with one of my kitties thinking her naughty behavior was "behavioral." Turns out she had a big ole stone in her bladder. I'm not saying this is what is wrong with your cat but it could be something else physical bothering her.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
To your cat, I suspect you seem like a large and very unpredictable being. Sometimes you "yell loudly" at her, other times you "talk soothingly". She has no way of predicting what response she'll get from you. Even though you may think she "should know why" you react like you do, in reality she probably has no clue at all what she has done to displease you.

Litterbox problems are most commonly a result of something unacceptable about the litterbox. Not clean enough, for instance. She may not like the hood. She may not like the location. As mentioned, this could also be a sign of physical problems. But what may have started as a litterbox avoidance behavior has clearly escalated into a far more widespread problem.

It is extremely important for you to understand that cats never act out of spite, malice, anger, or any other "human" motives. (In fact, it's rather an insult to cats to believe that they could possibly be as petty and vicious as some people are--not meaning you of course, but I'm thinking of certain individuals I have known in my life who shall remain nameless...)
:oops:

Cats do what they do to make themselves feel better. In the case of pee and poop, these are often marking behaviors. In this case, it may be because she is feeling stressed and out of control in her own environment. She may be trying to put her own scent around her in order to feel comfortable, try to claim a little bit of safe territory for herself, and reduce her level of fear. She is obviously a sensitive cat.

I think you would greatly benefit from a better understanding of cat behavior. There are a number of excellent books available, we list several of the best on our website at: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ecommended.

What this kitty needs most from you is patience, kindness, consistency, and love--and a good checkup by your vet! I know that you love her and will do all of this for her. Please let us know how she's doing.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts