Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm new here and wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions to my pet problems.

First of all, let me explain. I have been an animal owner all of my life so none of these problems are necessarily new to me BUT I have not had to deal with them directly until now. That is, after I moved out of my mom's house 4 years ago, the kitty I brought with me, Elvis, never gave me any touble. Now we have Elvis (5), Mabel (3), Max (8 mo.), and Max's sister, Katy (8 mo.). We also have Baxter (2) and Zoe (1.5?) who are Boston terriers. The problem is this:

Katy pees outside of her box. The first time was when we went away for a few days. It was the first time the kittens (max and Katy) had been left alone and they were only a few months old. Katy peed all over the bathroom counter (and pooed) while we were gone. She doesn't pee on counters anymore but goes on the rugs in the bathroom, where the boxes are located, in front of the boxes, and in potted plants (pee and poo). Tonight my husband caught her peeing on the carpet under the fish tank! The litter boxes are changed daily and usually pretty clean. I cannot put un-hooded boxes in random places because the dogs, Baxter and Zoe, think this is a buffett. What should I do?! I've used training spray which works only when it's very fresh. I never shove her nose in it and I don't scold her but use noise or a squirt bottle to deter her from naughty things.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do? I have not taken her to the vet regarding this problem. I do not suspect she is ill but is experiencing behavioral problems.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the dogs out of the "buffett?" or any ideas for keeping the buffett away from them?

Thanks for any and all help!!

-Holly

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Hello Holly
Katty's problem might be either due to the stress she goes through because of your going away (missing you) ; or it is a health issue - something related to Urinary Tract Infection. You could browse through the previous threads because there have been people here with similar problems until somebody that has experience will answer you directly. Best of luck to you and your baby
Welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, ioana. I've been reading through a lot here.
The first time she did it was when we were away but lately she does it when we're here. I'm just not sure.

Thanks, though!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Holly :)
I had kind of a similar situation at one time. I dont know if you tried this yet or not...but whenever your cat is trying to go to the bathroom somewhere it shouldnt be, pick them up and put them in the litter box.. even if its while they're going to the bathroom. A couple of times my cat tried pulling that, and I just picked him up and put him in the litter box. I took his paws and motioned them back and forth in the litter as to say.." this is where you potty and hide it" (you know, cause they usually hide their waste.) Good luck!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
If they're peeing everywhere, it may definitely be a UTI. I would go to the vet to make sure then also clean the areas really well where they're peeing b/c if they can smell it, they will go back to do it there again. Make sure to use cleaners with good enzymes in it to kill the smell. Good Luck :!:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts