Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The continuing saga of pee: now one of my five-month old Calicos -- not yet spayed -- is peeing in my bathroom sink; this time right before my eyes. It may be attention seeking behavior; she's very needy. It's just irritating. I'm going to try to spray some Feliway on the sink; of course, she may be starting heat herself. Yes, I know, they have an appointment in a week and a half. In the meantime, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
pee in sink

There are several potential reasons. As you said yourself, she may be going into heat. Female cats often spray or urine-mark when they are in heat. Maybe she is trying to get you to post a personal ad in the paper for a handsome tomcat! :oops:

Another reason could be that she may have a urinary tract infection, although this would be unusual in such a young cat.

A third possibility is a litterbox problem; for instance, she might just like the cold smooth surface. Sometimes an extra litterbox with *nothing* in it will satisfy this particular preference. Or, the box might not be to her liking for another reason--cleanliness is a biggie. Lots of box-related issues can come up, especially when there are multiple cats. (See several articles on the subject at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library)

This is not typically attention-seeking behavior in the sense of wanting more petting or food; but inappropriate urination *is* often a cry for help, a telegram to you that something is wrong.

Cats always have a reason for everything they do, and in feline terms, urine is a means of communication. She can't call you on the phone or write you a letter! So please try not to get annoyed (think of all the *worse* places she could have gone!), but make the effort to understand why she may be doing it.

Hopefully having her spayed will make the problem just go away! Under the circumstances, going into heat seems the most likely explanation.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reassurance. I'm really trying to understand and not be annoyed. Frankly, I was grateful that she let me in on the secret since I was trying to guess how and why.

Getting the spaying out of the way will help. Also, the vet is coming to check on all the cats Monday. So, patience and a little help from the vet (just like from you) is the best medicine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts