Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright me and my husband are really getting sick of washing our sheets and comfort right before we're ready for bed. We've had her for 3 weeks she is about 2 years old and shes from the shelter. She knows where her litter box is and does go in it but sometimes she doesn't. There are no other cats in the house, and shes where the dogs can't get her. She has been declawed so her bandages were throwing her off but now they're off so I don't know whats going. She also has newspaper in her litter box because she can't have the litter getting in between her toes. And I know that if the box is to full she will go outside of it, when we'd lock her up in the bathroom. Anyone know whats going on or solutions?? I'd be really nice to keep our sheets on for at least a week :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Unfortunately this can be a side effect to declawing. She could also quite possibly have a urinary tract infection. Please contact your vet and let him know what is going on.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Declawing!!! AAAAAHHH!! *keels over* I hate to say it, but if it's not a urinary tract infection then it's very likely to be a behavioral problem resultant from the declawing. Ack I didn't know you were planning on getting your cat declawed, or I'm sure you would have had half the forum giving you information about "why not to." Maybe the peeing problem could have been avoided. :(

I am also not a fan of "locking cats up" in a bathroom for punishment -- cats sometimes get anxiety over this and pee on places like your bed to tell you that they belong there, not locked up away from you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shes not being locked in the bathroom for punishment, she was locked up while your bandages on since she can't jump but shes fine now. She's only peed on the couch once, but the real problem is why is she going on our bed? It seems like shes to lazy to go run to her littler box. I didn't want to declaw her but its something I have to do if I want a cat, my next can't will not be declawed. If course I found out how to make your cat stop scratching at furniture after she had been declawed. I've already talked to my vet about her peeing outside the box and she said because of the bandages were throwing her off, and now they're off and shes not peeing right outside the box now shes peeing on my bed.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree. Your cat has multiple problems, or a possibility of them, at least. One of the most common results of declawing is the refusal to use the litter box. The phantom pain never goes away in some cats, and the pain from the recent surgery is fresh. Use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the odors where she has urinated inappropriately. Perhpas Feliway will help calm her emotional shock--from the move and the declawing. Visit the vet also; urinary tract infections are also a common reason for not using the litter box.

You wondered what was wrong. Well, she's in pain. It hurts to scratch in the litter box. It hurts to have a UTI, and emotional pain is very real, too. I know you would never have done this to her if you had known the consequences. The vets should refuse to declaw a cat, not encourage it! Poor thing. Please let us know how she comes along. God bless.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly don't think the vet I went to gives a crap. I don't like who she went to and I wish I would've waited. She doesn't scratch at the litter box, not even when she poops since its only newspaper. I'll talk to my vet about it on saturday, we have a check up appointment. I'm gonna try the feliway.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Like I said before, your cat might be peeing on the bed because of anxiety. Walking, standing, all of it hurts after declawing. It's like you trying to walk after someone amputated your toes. Cats walk on the tips of their feet -- exactly what she just had cut off. The bed is a common place for cats with anxiety to pee because it is the place where the group scent is normally the strongest.

Just remember you have to clean with an enzyme cleaner before using feliway or you're really not doing much good. After I did that I had great success with Feliway. Good luck.

Of course your vet said it was just because of the bandages -- your vet is the one that declawed her. Grrr at your vet. If your vet declawed your cat with no qualms about it, obviously they don't know or care about the emotional and physical side effects, so they wouldn't have mentioned them. Grrrrr again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No my vet didn't declaw her, a different one did. Since I got her from the shelter she can only go to certain vets to get spayed so I got her declawed at the same time. I'll definitly get some of that nok out!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Regardless, unfortunately what is done is done. Please call your original vet is this continues. It simply is not normal and this is your cats way to let you know something is up. Please keep us updated

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe I'm not going back to the vet that she was declawed buy, I didn't like him at all. But yes I will tell my vet saturday, and I'll let everyone know. We kept thinking its because shes mad at us since we have to hold her down twice a day for 3 medicines.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm trying to get my apartment complex's management company to allow soft claws instead of declawing. Right now they have a clause in every lease that states that if you have a cat, it must be declawed. They'd never even heard of soft claws before. Right now, they're busy ignoring me, but they'll listen one day. Oh yes. They will listen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I rent out at my parent's house because we have an extra part of the house we added on, so its all about my dad. I didn't know they had all these things you could do instead of declaw until like the day after she got declawed :x

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Annissa, ask your apt manager do they prefer to have cat urine soaking the carpets, padding and floorboards? Because that's what they'll get from declawed cats. Print out a copy of our article on Declawing in our library, see if that doesn't help! http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library. This explains in detail what the surgery is and what the complications are--about 30% of cats will have serious complications, like this little one who is going on the bed in desperation because it's soft and safe. Poor baby.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well thanks for making that in my post when I think it would be more appropriate in a pm. But shes fine now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A lot of people read these posts, and so when answering a question that comes up in a thread by any forum member (not all of which stay exactly on the topic started by the originator), I try to include as much information as possible, so that perhaps another reader could use the information in a similar situation. So far the 181 people who have viewed this thread, including you, have now been given the opportunity to learn something about declawing they might not have known before.

I thought that was the purpose of this forum.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
454 Posts
I appreciate useful public commentary. That is one of the primary purposes in forums. In fact, at times when a search is run on one of the web's search engines, some of the results of often forums and message boards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts