Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few times now that having more than one cat is more fun. I have had it happen that getting another animal has caused both of them to become less people oriented, especially the second introduced. I guess I'm asking if by getting another cat it's possible to cause your cats to become more Cat cats than People cats?

Hope that question makes at least a little sense.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
My cats still go to sleep on me, come to me for cuddles, but ive always had more than one cat so I cant really say.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Throughout my life my parents only had one cat in the household. This to me was "normal". However when my Fiance and I got Envy we decided after a few months to get a second cat. When Chaos came into the picture for a few days after they bonded they would only hang out with each other/play with each other etc. But after that they settled into the routine of Chaos following Envy around like she was his mother, whatever she does (lay on my lap, bring me a toy to play with her with, follow me around the house etc) Chaos does as well. So it really is double the kitty love. I'd never NOT have at least two cats around now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd never NOT have at least two cats around now.
Is this because you want a playmate/companion for your cat? Or is there another reason? Btw... this question is to everyone, not just Payge. :)

I've owned ferrets and it was highly recommended to have at least two. I believe this was mostly for their companionship. Someone to play with when you couldn't, so they don't get bored, etc. Just want to know if this is the same thing.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
We got two at once and we get double the love. I've never experience so loving cats as ours. They love to cuddle. So not only do we get double love, they keep each other company as well.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
yes, another cat is basically a playmate when you are not around, or too tired. Also company, I see my cats chasing each other in the garden and all sorts, stuff we couldnt really do. 2+ is definatly best.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
They say that you shouldn't get a cat just for your resident cats benefit.

You should get a second cat because you want another cat, and if your resident cat benefits then, so be it. This is because, as can be the case, if your resident cat rejects the newcomber or if there are problems, you'll never think, "Well, the only reason I got this cat was for that one to play with, I didn't even want another one!" Because then you'd be more likely to not want to deal with the troublemaker.

Not that anyone here wouldn't want another cat for their themselves.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
WE only had Tierney for a year.. the most lovable and cuddly cat ever. We just got Teagan, and while Tierney was mad at us for awhile, he has become my cuddle cat again, And Teagan is just as cuddly if not more so. When ever i am on the couch, she sleeps with me.

I have to agree with the others.. It's double the kitty love.

P.S. as i write this Teagan is sitting on my leg!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
We had 2 cats at the beginning and then we got Maugli. We have triple love!!! I think it's really good because they play with each other and don't feel lonely when we are not home. And if one cat is bored and lazy, then the other 2 can still play! :) Eventhought they are 3, they still want lot of attention from us!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mostly because of this forum actually. After drooling and ooohing and awwwwing over so many pictures of 'cuddle kitties' I decided to get another. The reason i'd never not have two cats is I love to watch them. Sometimes i'll sit for as much as an hour just watching them interact, how Envy grooms Chaos and when Chaos gets tired of being 'mommied' he initiates a game of tag that has them running pell mell all over the place, and me in tears from laughter.

I love how my Fiance pets them and snuggles them and plays with them, these cats are our 'children' and it makes me feel good knowing he cares as much about them as I do.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would always have two cats for a couple of reasons

1. I want another cat
2. So my current cat isn't a stick in the mud

My cat of 11 years isn't really to keen on my little kitten (and it's been almost a month!) I really wish we would have gotten one sooner - maybe he wouldn't be so territorial and hissy when it comes to other animals.

The second I move away from home I was thinking about using some of my savings to buy two more cats actually (Maine Coons) so Mr. Halifax has two friends to play with. He'll be almost 9-10 months old then... I believe... I also want to get my puppies while my kitties are at a young age so they don't react too horribly to each other.

·
Registered
821 Posts
We had one kitten, and then got another one when the first was 7 months. They are best friends now, but they both come to me for cuddling and playing. Magic is the master of fetch, so he is constantly bringing things for me to throw for him. They do play with eachother a lot too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll share my experience with my current cats:
We've had our cat Nitro as an only cat for the last nine years.
He's very aggressive and easily aggrevated, and he's extremely territorial - he gets upset if he sees any neighborhood cats wandering outside through the window/screen. He's peed in the bathtub on occassion in the past if someone comes over here with fresh "just held thier cat scent" on them.
Since (slowly) introducing him to our new kitten in January/February of this year, his personality has improved substantially!! He's much calmer, doesn't bite anymore, is much much much more cuddly and affectionate with both my husband, son, and myself. He is clearly a drasticly more content, calm, people oriented cat. The (completely positive) change in him has been remarkable. He obviously needed a kitty friend!
The two of them are the best of friends and absolutely adore each other; they sleep togethor, play daily, groom each other, keep each other company on the windowsill, etc.
I will note though that I took a very long time to slowly and carefully introduce them over many weeks time.
Oh and the new kitten is the MOST people oriented cat I've ever owned! He follows me everywhere and has learned a bunch of tricks!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I wish I had a success story to share, but I don't :/ We got Psi when Samhain was 7, and we've had him since May 2003 - and Samhain Still doesn't like him. She tolerates him but they are definitely not friends. She hides up on the bookcase almost the entire day now and so I find that I am really missing my old kitty. She used to be with me everywhere and she was very cuddly and slept with me. But now she barely comes down from the bookcase anymore. She's starting to get better now, but I'm afraid that when I bring Sigma back home, she will retreat even more. This is very upsetting for me. I wish we had a bigger apt so she could have more of her own space, which is the plan when we move next June. That is why I wanted to leave Sigma at my parent's house until then but my mom won't take care of him.. *sigh* I love Psi to death tho, and Sigma - I love them all to death and I wouldn't give them up for the world. I just wish Samhain would come around.

Woops, sorry for rambling.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think that certain cats are already 'cat cats', you just don't see it until they are around other cats. (duh! :twisted:)

A few cats are strongly people oriented, a few are strongly cat oriented, most cats are somewhere in between. I have found that in general I get more cat attention when I have more cats. That doesn't mean that each cat didn't need a little less interaction with me...they do get some of their companionship needs met by playing or snugging other cats. But since there are more of them, there isn't that down time you have with one cat when it gets bored or tired. There's always another willing to take the empty lap or try to get my attention to play.

In my experience cats, even cats in groups, seem to be inordinately interested in what their humans do in general. It's nice to be the center of attention somewhere isn't it?! :D

~Heather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts