Cat Forum banner

How should we deal with people caught abusing animals?

• Community service and counseling.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A couple years in prison and counseling.

• Mental hospital sentence for the criminally ill.

• Prison sentence typically given to a first degree murderer.

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should we deal with people caught abusing animals? I'm curious as to what you guys think about this.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
My first thought isn't listed, let's just say it's nasty. :evil:
Seriously thought, I also voted for prison and counseling. I would certainly be in favor of a more strict punishment, but I think this is the best we could hope for.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Each case may be different from the other but prison + counseling sounds like a good solution to me. I get nasty thoughts also, Lori , when it comes to such acts not only against animals but also children. But I always try to turn towards the mild side. Tough job

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mental hospital sentence for the criminally ill.
Anyone who abuses an animal can't be sane... And being stuck in a mental hospital must be pretty awful, and its harder to brag about being locked up for being crazy than it is to think you're "cool" because you got to go to jail... I think. :) :?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It depends on how "bad" it is. Sometimes community service and counseling might do the trick but generally I think animal abusers should spend some time in jail and off course get counselling. Jail for punishment and counselling so they can understand what they have done and to prevent them from doing it again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
how should we deal with people caught abusing animals

Recently in Texas we have had some cases of juveniles abusing animals.
for the most part they get off with a slap on the hand. I think juveniles should be made to do community service preferably in an animal shelter. Adults should definitely serve some incarceration time. Usually they get off with a fine and that is all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep in mind, that abusing animals is a symptom of a much larger problem.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I believe many serial killers are known to abuse animals. It has to do with sadism; with a complete lack of empathy, etc...

As far as I am concerned, if someone has the capacity to purposefully inflict unnecessary physical pain on another creature, then they should be punished as though they did it to a human. (and I'm talking about active abuse, not neglect)

They know it's wrong. They don't care. They're doing it precisely *because* it is wrong. A nine-year-old could benefit from counseling; any adult should be locked up or - depending on the crime (and some crimes can be really sick) - just execute them.

In fact, I almost feel that way more about animals than humans. At least there's a whole series of social interaction that can dictate why someone would hurt a human (jealousy, greed, argument, fight, etc...).

Someone that tortures or hurts an animal - it's generally an A > B relationship where they're sadistically inflicting pain on something that can't defend itself.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
The punishment should fit the crime, the circumstances, and the age of the abuser. Pulling a cat's tail and making it cry -even if it's for "fun"- can't compare with skinning a cat or putting it on a barbecue as some monsters did last year! Those people should have been sent directly to prison, not jail.

I do believe that young offenders without a record should have to do communty service in an animal shelter (with supervision.) Parents should seek counseling for any child who abuses animals. It is one of the few "tip-offs" we have to future serial killers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My real answer wasn't on here.

Put one for "The Chair" and I'll be satisfied ;)

That way, we nip the problem in the bud, instead of tax payers paying to keep said person(s) alive in mental institutions or jail, and we can certainly prevent the problem from ever happening again, and escilating to a human murder factor.

·
Registered
917 Posts
the chair isn't really a good method of execution, i think. it takes so much energy, and then you have to let it recover before you can get someone else.... i've always thought a firing squad or lethal injection is a much more economical choice.

but i still think the worst of the worst go to medical testing. give all the poor bunnies and monkeys a break.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I can't vote - it depends on how you define abuse. If one kills an animal, one should be punished as if they have killed a human baby - they are just as innocent and depend on us for their welfare as much as babies do. If one injures an animal, one should get a mandatory prison sentence with mandatory counselling and strict conditions under which they will obey after they are released. i.e. subject to the "three strikes" laws. Except, I think it should only be two strikes if someone abuses an animal more than once.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
On another note, the death penalty is never economical. The money spent on the many, many, many appeals far outweighs the money spent to keep said person alive in prison until death.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
I think violence begets violence. If we could understand the minds of these monsters, we could possible prevent these cruel acts. Not to say that I wouldn't WANT to hurt that person. I would! But practically and morally, I know that's wrong. It doesn't accomplish anything except put me in jail--and then I would be considered a criminal, just like the person who hurt my animal. I hope someone would be there to stop me.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Jeanie, I believe that sometimes society creates those monsters. Some of them have a very bad life and that puts its print on their personalities. Some are just purely evil and have no idea what being kind is. I am not finding excuses because I firmly believe that as bad a life you have, as an adult (unless mentally ill) you should be able and make the difference between right or wrong and not continue on the wrong path till the end. I am saying there should be a stronger emphasis on education as an important factor in preventing crimes . We need to be taught how to behave in school, how to always want to evolve.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts