Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old cat Loki just had a perineal urethrostomy becasue of urniary blockage and I was wondering if anyone else has a cat who went though this operation. What was the recovery like? I would appreciate any advice about what to look for or what to expect.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Perineal urethrostomy

Boy, that's a tough surgery! It will look fairly ugly for a while, but as long as there is no redness or oozing of serum or pus from the incision lines, it's okay.

PU cats can still block, so it's imperative to get him on an acceptable diet (as in, NO dry food, no fish...) to prevent recurrence, as well as antioxidants and other appropriate supplements to minimize the inflammatory component.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice DrJean, it was helpful no one told me anything about the no dry food thing. We just brought our cat home this evening, he had is surgery around 10pm yesterday. Is it normal for the incision/ urine to be kind of bloody? I'm pretty worried, his urine is pretty bloody, but he is going to the bathroom very well. I'm probably going to end up taking him back to the vet tomorrow for another look tomorrow. It seems my trips to the vet never end

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
PU

Yes, it will look bloody, and the urine will be bloody for several days. As long as he's eating, drinking, peeing and pooping, no worries! :) I don't think you need to stress him with another outing to the vet.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts