Cat Forum banner

Persian Himilayan cat eye problem - help / advice needed

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sharon2665 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I post here to seek help for our Persian Himalayan cat baby. She is around 1.5 years old and started having problem with one of her eyes around 9 months ago. We took her to the vet (3 different) numerous times. At first the vet said that there is indolent or non-healing corneal ulcer and feline herpes virus. She was also scratching her eye. He prescribed some medicine but that didnt seem to help immediately and we went to see him again few weeks later. Her eye continued to stay closed most of the time. At this visit the doctor said that if medication doesnt help she would need to have eye surgery. We went to a diffrent vet clinic and they did aggresive scraping of her cornea and placed contact lens to accelerate healing. After about 2 months and seeing 3 different vets things seem to improve.

Fast forward to know and the problem seems to come back and go away all the time. She can be fine for 2 weeks and then out of no where the problem comes back and she has her eye closed for a few days. We give her eye drops and after few days she is back to normal but the cycle repeats. We took her to 3rd vet and he doesnt have any solution. Each vet just prescribes different medication and says that previous vet recommended incorrect medicine.

I'm posting here hoping to find cat owners that might have seen this kind of problem and can offer some advice on how we can help our baby. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thankfully, my girls have never had eye issues. It must be so frustrating with no definite answers after so many vet visits. If there is a veterinary school in your area, sometimes they take cases as a teaching tool for their students and don't charge a lot. Maybe that could be an option for you. Or maybe a cats-only vet clinic.

#4 ·
Is it related to the feline herpes, do you think?

I had a cat with the herpes virus and he had really bad respiratory problems because of it. Nothing helped with that until he was given steroid shots at the end of his life when he wasn't able to use his back legs. I wish he'd been given the steroids earlier even though it's hard on the internal organs. IMO, quality of life is more important than the number of years lived.

#5 ·
I am not sure but it could be related to the herpes. Just like with humans it will come and go throughout the years. With humans it sometimes becomes less frequent the older they get and maybe his will slow down also. If that’s the case then management is the best solution. Poor little guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.