Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ally is about 12-13 years old girl and has been having hairball vomit lately. It started getting almost like every day thing this past two month, if I remember correct. On this forum, I asked about vaseline and many of you helped me out, thank you :) I gave vaseline and the problem got a little better but not much change and she hated vaseline. I let her try canned pure pumpkin but not much help because she did not like to eat it. (today I let her eat 1tsp of pumpkin before meal time. I hate to do this because this means she will eat less wet food...) I know it is basically the same main ingredient as vaseline, but I am giving her Laxatone. For a few days, she stopped vomiting hairball then it comes back again or she gaggs/coughs with hair. I took her to the vet for annual in early March and there was no problem with her bloodwork. she does not have hyperthiroid. She needed to have dental cleaning and teeth extractions due to her gingivitis. She is eating well and gained one pound since the teeth cleaning. I comb her sometimes but there is hardly much coming out since she has short hair or she is grooming all the time... She tends to vomit hairball in the middle of night or early in the mornings. I do not feed her during night and she eats wet food really good and only about 1.8 cup dry maximum (Merrick BG chicken).

Should I just keep giving her Laxatone to avoid vomit of hairball? Or should I take her to the vet? The vet suggested to use Hill's Science Diet hairball control food but I do not want to.... Do you think it will help if I left dry food during night to avoid stomach acid build up? Sometimes I see clear or yellowish liquid along with hairball. I thank you for all the help and opinions you can give me! Thank you!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
If she's been having this problem for two months then you need to TELL the vet to do an xray. It sounds like she just can't expel the hairball herself and needs help. And by no means buy Hill's Science Diet. The vet is just trying to make a few more bucks off of the food. I wouldn't use dry food as a fix it, either. Dry food is that...dry. You need to give her more of the wet food (better for her anyway).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for sharing your opinion. X-ray.... meaning that she might have something wrong internal like digestive system? It scares me now..... I will consult her vet and ask about it. Thank you for bringing up this!

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
I she really bringing up a fully formed hairball or is there just hair swimming in liquid?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is like log made of hair.... I tend to mistake with poop.... I thought somebody had poop accident on floor and then it was just hairball....Yes, another expression about her hairball: soft bigger liquidy Tootsie Roll.....

Very, very rarely, she has little bit of hair in liquid but it is very rare. Usually one tootsie roll.... This morning, when I picked up the tootsie roll, I found zucchini chunk that she stole from my dinner last night! She is okay with zucchini in Wellness wet food, but I guess it was too big piece and could not digest??? I hoped she learned her lesson but never.... Anyhow, all the time her stuff really looks like Tootsie Roll or poop! Should she need x-ray? Other than this hairball issue, she seems to be fine..... I need to comb her more often, I know. I heard that salmon oil or olive oil helps. Has anyone tried it? Any supplement to try as well? Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to mention..... sometimes the Tootsie Roll is in a little bit of liquid, but usually Tootsie Roll or Poop looking thing.... I hope I am not grossing out everyone, sorry if you are reading this with Tootsie Roll in your mouth!

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Gigi throws up a hairball almost every day. Sometimes they're very tiny. In fact, I thought she was just throwing up food until I looked closer. After about $300 in bloodwork, my vet concluded she simply has a sensitive system and rejects them faster than most cats (rather than letting them form into bigger ones). There are times, like this week, when she can go 3-4 days without herking, but that's rare. Whether there's food with it depends entirely on what type of food I'm feeding her at the time. Pate usually stays down, grilled or pieces come up with it sometimes. Mostly, though, it's just the hair now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marie and Xanti: Thank you so much for reading my post! I needed to take my another cat, Spock, to the vet for hyper-T bloodwork, so I asked him about Ally's hairball issue. His suggestion:
1. brush more
2. keep giving Laxatone on daily basis for a while
3. give canned pumpkin
4. consider Science Diet W/D (hairball control)
5. fi nothing works, need to get prescription med "metociopramide" to help move the hair through digestive tract

For 1., I started combing her more often. I could not get much of her hair by using the same teeth as Furminator so I bought Zoom Groom. I will try with this one.
For 2., I read that petrolium jelly in Laxatone or Vaseline prevents nutrition absorbed so we should not use it as daily basis. The vet said it is ok for now, but.... I stopped from today.
For 3., She does not like pumpkin...
For 4., I do not want to switch to SD...
For 5., this is the last thing to try.
I bought Wild Alaskan salmon oil. I belong to another forum which is for Hyper-T cats and somebody told me that this helped with her 3 cats. It is from Grizzly. Welcome to Grizzly Pet Products
Marie, if you are interested in, just in any case.... I will give a try on this one first. There is no worry about mercury or other toxin in this product, it seems. I spoke to their customer service and they were very helpful. I am sorry that Gigi has similar issue. It is just hard to see them vomiting, isn't it? You make me feel better, though, knowing that Ally is not the only one doing this! Thank you :)
I asked the vet about x-ray. He said that it is not necessary at this point. He wants me to see how these things work first. Thank you to all of you for suggestions, help!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
How were you giving the pumpkin? I mix it with MowMow's canned food, add his hot water and mash it all up together with a fork. He doesn't even notice the pumpkin.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the first day that I offered pumpkin to Ally, she ate it by itself. So, I did the same thing next day, just put it on her bowl. She did not touch it. Next day in the morning when she is supposed to be very hungry, I did the same. She did not touch it. So, I put it in her favorite wet food. She still did not eat it. I was afraid of her not eating at all for breakfast. So, I gave in and offered the same wet food without pumpkin, then she ate it..... Whew!!! I guess she can tell? Yesterday, I put pumpkin on her bowl and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. No luck. Sprinkled with dry food that I crushed with coffee bean grinder. (she does not eat much dry anyway) No luck.... When Tora used to have poop problem, he LOVED pumpkin! He just gobbled it up just by itself on his bowl.... I guess each cat is different indeed. Thanks for your suggestion, though :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts