Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just wanted to hear about your ktties personality now and also when they were a kitten.

Right now Delaney is very active. She loves to run, play, and pounce on everything that moves (her favorite is my dog's tail LOL)

She likes to follow me around, and watch me on the computer.... she really doesn't like to be held (as she is constantly moving around)... but she does like to sleep in bed near me or on the pillow next to my head.

So my question is how was your cat as a kitten? How are they now as an adult?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
...out of our current 8, only Shasta came to us as a small kitten. Squirrely-Jo was about 6mo old and most of the other cats were at least 10mo-to-adult and/or feral and needed time to get socialized and comfortable around people.

We play with our cats all the time; with interactive toys, laser lights and even joining in myself by running up/down the hall and playing chase or stalk/hide with them. When they get the Zoomies (aka: Rocket-butt Mode) I encourage it by getting loud and yelling "Woo-Woo's!", "Zip-Zip-Zoom!" and "Go Kitties!" to encourage them on to greater efforts at play. Overall, I would say the younger the cat, the more playful, active and less tolerant of holding they are, but as they mature I notice they almost always grow to love snuggling and turn into lap cats, or at least next-to-lap cats.

Cats I've had since kitten-hood:
Snow, my childhood cat born in our garage. The Trio: Mister, Silver and Toby from about 6-7wks. Marmalade, bottle-raised from about 3wks. Then as I mentioned above: Shasta, from about 7-8wks and S-Jo at 6mo old.
Lots of foster kittens, but they usually never stay with me longer than 2mo or so.

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
I've only had Cali and Charlee since they were kittens. Cinderella was almost 4 and Cleo was a little over a year old.

The twins were wild and crazy and total lap cats. I always had both in my lap at my computer.

They still chase each other through the house every day, but only Charlee is a lap cat. And only when she feels like it. Cali doesn't like playing with the toys as much as Charlee. Charlee will hear me pick up a toy from two rooms away and come flying in the room, jumping up mid-air to catch it.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Maggie is the one who is the most different now than she was as a kitten. She was a wild woman...into everything...literally would jump into the fridge, dishwasher, trash, cabinets, behind the washer/dryer etc. She chewed everything, climbed everything, everything was a toy. Decided she needed to get from the top of the kitchen cabinet to the left of the sink over to the one to the right of the sink. To get across the gap, she balanced her left paws on the window molding (1/2" wide) and her right paws on the curtain rod (probably narrower than the molding). The curtain rod let loose when she was about 2/3 across, but she managed to leap for the other cabinet and made it. She would knock the trash over a strew it around the house, open cabinets and pull stuff into the floor, maybe tear open anything in paper or cardboard. Any papers left on the counter were chewed. I was moving and the real estate agents would leave cards on the counter. I never knew who was there because all I would find was a sodden mess. So....most active cat, destructive cat I've ever seen. My username, doodlebug, comes from my nickname for her....a doodlebug is an armed missile. I've always said that Maggie flies around the house and creates destruction wherever she goes. And she was that way until she was about 8 and she finally slowed down and had the activity level of a typical 1-2 year old. She was never a lap cat, didn't want to be cuddled and would pull her head away when you tried to pet her...unless she wanted to be petted and that was twice a day...when I got up in the morning and when I came home from work. I get in maybe 30 seconds and she was off.

But, in the last 3 years (since she was 10) all of a sudden she's a love bug. Still not a lap cat, doesn't want to be held or cuddled. But will sit or sleep close enough to be petted instead of just out of arms reach. Although she will tolerate being picked up and snuggled for a few minutes whereas before she would immediately start squirming. But now, she comes up to me regularly looking to be petted and can actually be a pest about it now. She's slowed down a lot because of age, but still flies around here a couple times a day, loves to slide on the wood floors. She finally stopped climbing to the top of the Christmas tree about 4 years ago (I used to have to put bells on it so I knew when she was in it).

Kobi was a love bug from the time I met him. Always wanted to be on your lap. Doesn't like to be picked up a held (not that picking him up is easy since he's 19 lbs). He used to be a complete chicken, ran to hide under the bed whenever the doorbell rings or someone comes in the house, even without the bell. Lately, he goes up, but comes back down pretty quickly and then jumps on the person's lap and demands worshipping.

Holly is probably the most consistent from kittenhood to adult. She's always been a friendly, sweet, goofball. Loves to be petted and held, lays on my chest, never my lap. Very curious, loves to play, invents her own games, pulls up the heating vent covers, relocates the bathroom scale...you know, the usual stuff :lol:.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Chloe has gone from Playful fun kitty to a "scared checkin everything out in the room before i lay down" kitty. That snake has really ruined her life :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only cat Ive had since a kitten is Tigger who lives with my parents now, hes 10yrs old now.

When he was little he was bursting with energy, nibbling stuff, running after anything and everything and generally being a kitten. If you played with him for long you'd definatly get scratched :)

Since then hes matured and mellowed is probably the best word for it :) He turned into the most tolerant cat with age, my cousins 5 year old followed him for hours trying to pet him and he didnt once complain.

Before maybe 9-10 he loved to run about and spent most of his time outside or bringing in little presents for us :)s)

He's never been a lap cat and that hasnt changed in that since he was a kitten.

So hes not changed all that much in personality, hes still a bit standoffish on occasion, still loves a good scritch if hes not on your lap but with age he's got much more chilled out :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wanted to make a post about this same thing, so I hope there are more responses!

What Marie says scares me. Gadget is wild and crazy and a lap cat too... and I'd like for her to stay that way. She is so affectionate and tolerant and... well a little bit needy, but I like that in a cat :roll: . How often do kittens go from being lap cats to not?

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry. :(

Charlee is still a lap kitty, and Cali crawled into my lap for a while last weekend. Size is a part of it, it was comfy and roomy when they were tiny, now it's kind of awkward and not so roomy. When Charlee climbs onto my lap, I usually turn around from the computer and put my feet up on the nearest cat tree so she can stretch out. She'll stay there for a long time when I do that. I don't use my sofa in the livingroom, I watch the t.v. in my bedroom, so I really don't present the normal "lap" available to kitties or I'm sure they'd be on me much more often. The only opportunity is when I'm on the computer.

If it's any consolation, they both snuggle with me on the bed when I'm watching t.v. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, as long as she still loves her mommy :wink: . That is very sweet of you to try and console me, marie. I'm not truly concerned, though. She'll be loved even if she turns into a total terror.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Due to Jitzu's hatred of other adults I've had my other three since they were little...I just kept Torri but Jitzu basically picked the boys by not hating them, lol.

Tori was adorable...but awful. She bit hands and feet, climbed, chased, or pounced anything and everything. One night our roommate was playing WOW and she walked down the couch and straight down his mouse arm...and he couldn't take her off because he was in the middle of a battle, lol. She was never all that cuddly, but she was sometimes. As she got older she got sick, and flighty. She was very upset for a while, until I took her to the vet, and then got her spayed. Then she started feeling better and slowly regained a better personality. She had been quite a grumpy guts for a while, not that I blame her.
Now she's very sweet at certain times. She doesn't like being picked up by anyone but me or her daddy...but still grumbles when I do it, lol. She's VERY cuddly right before bed, but she gets a special cuddle time with just mum and dad. She's still feisty, but cuddly too.

Doran has always been a mumma's boy. I got him at 10 days and I would regularly just sit with him sleeping on my chest, since he cried when I put him in his box. So he loves cuddling, usually me, but anyone why lies on a couch around Doran is asking for a cuddle.
He did go through a phase around 7-11 months where he was a terror...so glad he's out of that now! But he really just ran around trying to play with everyone. And since Muffin was there it wasn't so bad.

Muffin...muffin loves to cuddle. he always has. He doesn't care who is cuddling, he has to be in on it. He's the only cat who will come and flop down in the middle of an existing cuddle. It's adorable. He just loves to be cuddled! Admittedly his favorite cuddle buddy is me, but Doran is a close second.

Due to the love of cuddling and contact all my cats have if I fall asleep on the couch it's not unknown for me to have Doran right up on my chest, Jitzu on my tummy, Muffin on my legs, and Torri on the couch above my head. lol...many happy kitties.

With the boys I made a point of getting them used to handling. I'm a firm believer in desensitizing them to me touching them all over. I do this because Torri hates having her feet touched, and Jitzu used to. I didn't have Jitzu as a kitten but I feel I made a mistake in not handling Torri more. I regularly hold the boys and play with their feet, rub their tummies, look in their ears and mouth, and generally touch them all over. It has made a difference as I massage them while I do it, so they like the check. But I feel that getting them accustomed to handling will make my life, and theirs, easier in the long run. *shrugs* just me.

(The 'cradle and massage' is something I teach people to do to their puppies in dog training classes. It helps calm them down and builds a bond, along with getting them used to having their bodies handled.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts