Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As lots of you know, I'm going to a petshop on Sunday in a shopping centre and they sell little Ragdoll kittens.:p:p

I just need alittle help on how you persuade Mums and Dads.
They're hard to persuade. Do any of you remember how you persuaded your partners or Mums and Dadsto get a cat/kitten???

Sorry everyone, but I just need alittle help that's all.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to let you all know, I hardly know anything about persuading people.
Ive tried but I don't want to try too hard so they think I'm hinting for one.;)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'm curious of the quality of pet shop animals in Australia?

I ask because in the US they tend to be kitten mill/puppy mill born and often have lots of medical issues. I'm curious if there are laws/ different ... philosophy... in how pet shop quality pets are bred/raised in Australia.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last time we went there, we asked if they were well bred and won't come along many health and medical issues, and they said no.
They also said that they were honest that they came from a good breeder.
They looked like well bred kittens.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them but keep in mind that they are trying to make a sale. I'm sure they WOULD tell you that their healthy and well bred. I doubt they'd tell you that they probably have serious health issues that will cost your a fortune and shorten their lives.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
To late to edit:
NOT to say that they DO have health issues. Just pointing out that a shop trying to make a sale is not likely to tell you that their kittens might be ill or have genetic issues.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No that's ok.
What made me think that is because she told me the breeder
and that breeder is a highly popular ragdoll breeder.
That's all.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I would be extremely wary of getting your cat from a pet shop. Of COURSE they're going to say the cat is fine, and the breeder is fine. They want to make a sale.

As for persuading, my dad was the only person who had doubts, so we (me and my mother) waited until he was out of the country :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would also be extremely wary of getting a kitten from a pet shop. They'll tell you ANYTHING to sell a kitten. You have NO guarantees of where the poor kitten has come from.

I have two Ragdolls, they are absolute darlings. But Evie has issues (she's allergic to just about anything) and she's from an extremely well regarded breeder, who breeds show quality, winning cats. If she can have these problems, imagine what a Ragdoll from any old breeder may have. I'd also like to say that not all Ragdolls behave in the way you may have been led to believe- my girls are VERY vocal (get ready for 2/3/4am wake up calls), very jumpy (they love the kitchen counters, dressing table, hamster cages...) and a little highly strung- Evie poops everywhere if something is not to her liking. Just be very wary.

I LOVE Ragdolls, but I don't want you to have a rose-tinted view. I know this is difficult as Ragdolls are beautiful and very friendly cats!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I had a conversation with my boyfriend yesterday about breeders and pet stores. We couldn't find any reason why a reputable breeder would want to sell to a pet store.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
We couldn't find any reason why a reputable breeder would want to sell to a pet store.
I have to agree with this. What I would consider to be a reputable breeder would absolutely want a say in who buys their kittens and would want to screen prospective owners as well as providing a contract that protects the owner, the cat AND the breeder. A pet store will sell to anyone who has the cash.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I got my pedigree Maine **** cat in 1995 before I had a computer, there was a breeders directory number in the pet section of the local paper.
I called the number and told them what breed I was looking for, they gave me the number of a local breeder.
I called the breeder but he didn't currently have any kittens but he gave me the number of a breeder who did.
I called her, Susan and that started the process where I acquired my beloved Samantha.
She interviewed me over the phone, I told her about Meme who had recently died, I'd done my research and had purchased a book about Maine **** Cats.
She decided I was worthy, told me about the contract, inside only, no declawing and no breeding, this was all agreeable to me so that Saturday I went to pick out what was to be my BFF.
My only regret is I didn't accept her offer to get 2 kitties, I was an outlaw pet owner, my apartments didn't allow pets, with cat if possible 2 is better then 1, twice the love and they can keep each other company.
Today with the internet it's much easier to find and contact a breeder of the breed your looking for.
If I was buying a pedigree cat I'd want to get it directly from the breeder, see where it was raised and meet the parents or at least the mother, I'd also expect the breeder to interview me and require me sign a contract.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts