Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just thinking to buy a cat fountain. I'm wondering if it could be harm to my cat. I mean water always flow thru plastic (even in porcelain and stainless steel fountain) What your opinion about the subject?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean about the plastic...but I have a fountain for my girls. I don't see it as causing any harm, provided you clean it and change the water and filter regularly.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't pretend to be a scientist, but I would have thought that whatever tiny portions of chemicals (if any) might dissolve in the water would be taken care of by the aeration process of the flowing water.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The leeching - I've thought about this too when I used the pet fountain all the time.

My Budhi looked exactly like your Bryan. In his later years he developed an obsession with water, and then I found he had Chronic Renal Failure. Which is why he was obsessed with water, I believe.

He loooooooved the plastic water fountain. I bought it to use when I would be gone for overnight trips, but he loved the thing so much, I left it running.

They do need to be cleaned every few days, and it is a pain in the neck, so many little crevices to trap germs. They require a charcoal filter...well maybe not all of them, but the one I have.

When Budhi died I took it apart and now my other two cats have their glass bowl. I use the fountain only for extended time away from home. It's really good for that.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I highly doubt the amount of leaked chemicals of plastic is going to do anything to a cat. In fact, I would worry more about the chemicals in the water itself if you're using tap water (chlorine, lead from pipes, etc.). My water is so hard that there's actually crusty stuff on the faucets if I don't scrub/clean them once a month!
I use bottled water for my cats. Paizly has not had any more UTI issues since I started using bottled water - and had them about every 6 months when I used tap water.
Plus, if you have a charcoal filter it also helps with some bacteria, and of course a sponge filter alone (even without charcoal) will get rid of debris that gets in the "pool" of water like dust, cat hair, moths (for some reason, I get a lot of those!), etc. and keep it clean. I only clean my thing once a week, cuz I'm lazy ;p

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Mine runs the water through a charcoal filter. I like that it filters the baddies from his water. It doesn't say that it is dishwasher safe but it comes apart and I run it through on the top shelf of the dishwasher once a week.

He's NOT a big drinker but ever few days he shows up with a wet chin (and always drinks out of it immediately when I'm changing the water).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I highly doubt the amount of leaked chemicals of plastic is going to do anything to a cat. In fact, I would worry more about the chemicals in the water itself if you're using tap water (chlorine, lead from pipes, etc.). My water is so hard that there's actually crusty stuff on the faucets if I don't scrub/clean them once a month!
I use bottled water for my cats. Paizly has not had any more UTI issues since I started using bottled water - and had them about every 6 months when I used tap water.
Plus, if you have a charcoal filter it also helps with some bacteria, and of course a sponge filter alone (even without charcoal) will get rid of debris that gets in the "pool" of water like dust, cat hair, moths (for some reason, I get a lot of those!), etc. and keep it clean. I only clean my thing once a week, cuz I'm lazy ;p

Hmm.....mine as well. Wonder if that had anything to do with Mena's condition before she died....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts