Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have it? May I ask what company you went with? What do you like about it? Dislike? I think it is a good idea to have it in case something expensive comes up. I just don't have any experience with it. I noticed Kroger offers one, but I don't know the details. I signed up for some free quotes online from about 7 companies. I just don't want to get scammed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes! Purina Care is the company. Let me put it this way. My cat was at kitty hospital for 4 days. Cost over $3,000. Purina Care gave me a check for $2400. Yes, you have to pay up front (and I had no idea if I was going to be reimbursed a penny at that point). Yes, on some cats you will pay your premiums and hardly get anything in return, but with a savings account there are other variables. 1) I wouldn't have had $2400 in there by now putting $20 (more than the premium but usually what is recommended) in it each month. 2) In a serious human emergency do use the pet's account?? I also have a care credit account now (it's a credit card) where they set up a lower interest rate for a certain term. Another thought on Purina Care, they are a newer company and didn't do what old ones do which is raise my cat's premium after the illness or write me a letter saying they won't cover a bunch of things if she gets sick again. She had a FUO and everything from her sugar to many organs were affected so I was worried about that letter. Being new to pet insurance I decided that if 1) I wasn't reimbursed something or 2) they wrote me a letter excluding many future health problems I would switch to a savings account. So far I am very happy with this company. :thumb

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wondered about all the loopholes. I'll check out the other threads. Thanks!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Other than pre-existing conditions it seems most things that would happen are covered - swallowed objects, illness, accidents.broken bones. Mine even covers boarding if sick, boarding if *I* have to be hospitalized, Death from injury or illness (reimburse how much I paid for him)

Every one has their own preference., I chose Petplan. Seemed to get overall decent reviews here.

There will be many people who will tell you (and they are right), that if you total all your pets in your life, and the total costs of insurance coverage, it's better to just save the money and pay for expenses as they arise. THIS IS TRUE.

Yes there will be people who save thousands over a lifetime with insurance, but overall it's not usually the best option.

However, I still chose to pay $225 per year (my current premium for $200 deductible with %100 reimbursement after that) to avoid the possible $600+ vet bill a few times in Toby's life.

YMMV

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was going to get it because I'm a worrier, but then I realised my cat is an indoor-only cat and she's extremely hardy and healthy thus far, so there really is no point.

Think about this about your cat, and if you do choose to get insurance, make sure they cover "omg my cat just ate bleach" and "I think my cat suddenly has diabetes", as well as yearly vet visits/shots, if that is possible.

also make sure you find a vet that takes it.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i'm one of those people hal is talking about. i just save the money i would spend on insurance and do it that way. i'm a saver in any event, and more often than not i have used money i saved for something else on the cat(s). i don't think i've ever used the cat money for something like a vacation or new laptop lol. i've never had huge bills and i've never had an emergency, i've just had slightly higher bills occasionally due to one thing or another.

my vet actually sort of advised against it years ago since i have indoor-only cats and take them for their annual well-kitty visits (so mostly i'd know about any conditions early on). of course i could still have a catastrophic accident or sudden illness, but it's one of those things i chance.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Banfield (vets located in PetSmart stores) has a great plan for something like $350/year, and with that you get twice-a-year nose-to-tail examinations, and discounts on other stuff. Did this at the recommendation of one my sisters, and am extremely glad I did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was going to get it because I'm a worrier, but then I realised my cat is an indoor-only cat and she's extremely hardy and healthy thus far, so there really is no point.

Think about this about your cat, and if you do choose to get insurance, make sure they cover "omg my cat just ate bleach" and "I think my cat suddenly has diabetes", as well as yearly vet visits/shots, if that is possible.

also make sure you find a vet that takes it.
My indoor cat ended up with a $3,000+ bill. You never know....:2kitties

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
The calibratz are indoor-only and they've costs me thousands of dollars.

(Okay, that's my liquor bill since getting them.....)

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
stupid fine print

1 - 13 of 13 Posts