Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my poor Samantha's ear infection is back. She's so miserable since her already hated regular ear cleanings got moved up to twice a day. She always gives me this look like I just told her she was going back to the shelter. :?

Anyways. The mishap. Samantha's ear medication is in a little tube. When we were at the vet, they gave her the first dose there, and I took the rest of the tube home. So this morning, it's time for Sammy's ear cleaning. I take her into the bathroom with me, and I get her situated between my legs, and I'm holding her down...and nothing's coming out of the tube. So I'm thinking maybe the top needs to be snipped off. So I snip the end, and give it a little test squeeze...still nothing. I stick a toothpick down it, give it another squeeze...still nothing. Now, I'm starting to wonder what the trick is to this evil tube, and I give it a good hard squeeze. The tube exploded all over my face, my hair, my glasses, my work shirt...it smelled horrible and I couldn't open my mouth for fear of ingesting the stuff. After the clean up, I inspected the tube, and found a small razor slit in the side of the tube, like someone had nicked it with a box cutter. I wonder how the vet got the meds out...

What are your mishaps!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know if this counts but one of my cats had an eye issue...conjunctivitis, not too long ago, (before I switched their diets), and I had to go through a nightly ordeal to help her.

First I had to clean it with Saline. Then I had to put the ointment in her eye and rub it around. Then I had to give her a dose of medicine via eye dropper.

I had done this, while she was wrapped in a towel on the table. (She was at the edge of the table, I was leaning against it.) I was leaning down to her, releasing her from the towel, petting her head, telling her what a good little kitteh she had been.

At the exact same moment that I was telling her how good she was, she stood up, shook her head, sneezed and drops of medicine and cat snot flew in to my mouth while out the other end she peed all over my clothes.

Good times.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Last night I decided that I was going to drag Simone out from under my bed and bring him downstairs for my guests to see... Well, lets just say I'm lucky to have made it down the stairs with claw marks all over my back versus a concussion or paralysis!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I do many dumb things, but so far nothing comes to mind involving the cats. I just popped in to say poor Samantha! I hope her ear is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Oops- you meant cat care problems...

Well, there was the time that I flooded the 1/2 bath trying to give Simone a bath in the sink...

Or the time that I let his nails go to long between trimming (because it's a two person job), and he got his paw stuck in the window screen. If I hadn't been home, I would have come home to Simone still standing on his hind legs with his left front paw stretched out on the screen!! LOL

Oh, & I hope Sam feels better soon, too :)

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Cats, dogs and horses. Lets just say I've been vaccinated, de-wormed, wound-cared, eye/ear-dropped and anti-biotic'ed enough by default that I *shouldn't* need any medical treatment for maladies from my regular doctor.
...as a result of these mishap encounters, each one teaches me a better way to avoid being medicated *with* the pet in the future. :wink

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I got the Easter Western flu vaccine in the upper arm once by my vet. My horse Danni (I had him for 23 years) was an angel but for some reason *THAT* day stood up when he was geting jabbed. Vet missed him and got me.

LIkewise, I've squirted a healthy dose of ear med into Mow's ear for an ear infection and I didn't have enough of a hold on him and he shook his head and it was *every where*.

Oh, or when I tried the trick of putting hairball medicine on the top of his foot and instead of licking it off he walked away wiping the TOP of his feet on the carpet with every step....

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
... he walked away wiping the TOP of his feet on the carpet with every step....
Choking on my cereal. Srsly! brb

PSA: Do NOT LOL while eating cereal.
I'm okay! A couple good coughs while bent over from the waist have saved me! Oh, man, that was FUNNY!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the well-wishes to Samantha. I'll be sure to tell her. :D Believe me, I know all about ear cleaning and not having the cat held down tightly enough...just about every time I get ear meds all over me, because I misjudge how strong Sammy is. Oops!

Oh, or when I tried the trick of putting hairball medicine on the top of his foot and instead of licking it off he walked away wiping the TOP of his feet on the carpet with every step....
OMG! Hahahahaha! I bet that was the funniest thing ever! :crazy

·
Registered
763 Posts
So my poor Samantha's ear infection is back.
See if your vet has a laser machine. Laser treatments are not just for doggie arthritis any more. They can cure chronic ear infections in cats (among many other things)

They are non invasive, drug free and pain free. And not all that expensive, either.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
WEll, it's funny now but it was less than funny as I watched him smear a vaseline/mineral oil mixture onto the carpet I knew I'd have to scrub out...and I STILL had to fight him to squirt hair ball junk into his mouth. I tried putting it on his side but all that served to do was get it all over the bed because there was NO way he was cleaning it off himself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts