Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a few similar threads before but they are old so thought I would start a new one. So I have lately been getting all the girls canned food at pet value.... I don't know if prices increased or what but yesterday I bought 8 5.5 oz cans of wet and two cans of dog food and the bill was $42!!!! That would last 4 days.

Weruva is $2.50 a can and any other good quality averages 1.80-2.00. Wellness core 5.5oz is $2 per can, before grain is $2.20 or something around there! Like come on!!!

I sometimes go to global pet foods but it is just as expensive there. The problem is these are the only two stores I found to carry these brands. I am in southern Ontario btw.

Where do people who live where I do buy wet food??

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Go to the website for the foods you like and use the store locator function...it will give you all the stores in your area.

But...are you sure there wasn't a mistake made? Your math doesn't add up...Weruva was the highest price you quoted at $2.50 a can. 8 cans would be $20. You're saying that 2 cans of dog food and tax (if applicable) cost $22? Something fishy here and it's not the cat food!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Go to the website for the foods you like and use the store locator function...it will give you all the stores in your area.

But...are you sure there wasn't a mistake made? Your math doesn't add up...Weruva was the highest price you quoted at $2.50 a can. 8 cans would be $20. You're saying that 2 cans of dog food and tax (if applicable) cost $22? Something fishy here and it's not the cat food!
They most likely over charged me. There is never a break down of the bill when I go to the particular store, just the total. The guy who works there is a moron as well so he probably rung everything in twice. The dog food was $4 something each but still doesn't add up. Wow that makes me mad. I didn't think about it because I was in a rush but guess I'm not going to that store ever again.

I never liked pet value an yes I looked online but it's showing that is the only store that sells it(and global pet foods but the prices are just as high.

I also have never found the very large cans, the biggest I have found are 5.5

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Ya wth. They most likely over charged me. There is never a break down of the bill when I go to the particular store, just the total. The guy who works there is a moron as well so he probably rung everything in twice. The dog food was $4 something each but still doesn't add up. Wow that makes me mad. I didn't think about it because I was in a rush but guess I'm not going to that store ever again.
Well it really is up to you to pay attention to what you purchased and how much you're charged. Can't help you there.

I never liked pet value an yes I looked online but it's showing that is the only store that sells it(and global pet foods but the prices are just as high.
The reality is, these foods are expensive. Yes, you may find them somewhere else for a few pennies less but you're not going to find them for 50 cents a can less. And it's just going to get worse...Weruva has announced a price increase in the US, I assume it will affect Canada as well.

The only other advice I can give you is to find an independent. Their prices should be competitive and more than likely they can order you larger cans as long as you buy them by the case (which they may also discount). Even if they don't carry the brand, they still may be able to order it for you.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
All I can say is to shop around and be more aware of the amout you're paying! I shop at Tisol but they're only located in the lower mainland of BC. I choose there after shopping at Bosley's (Pet Valu) for a long time, I hadn't checked other person stores, and once I really started checking every pet store in the city I realised Tisol was the winner in pricing, no contest.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've always been pretty happy with the prices at global Pet foods for the most part, and they give you a discount if you buy 12 or more. That discount seems to offset the little bit of cost I see.

AND they give you a real receipt. ;)

Thanks for the infor about the price hike, Doodlebug. I always keep a few cans of the weruva chicken/pumpkin on hand, so I'll stock up before it goes up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's probably right. Ontario tax is a killer. When I first got my cats, I started to buy my cat food from there. I bought the cans of instict with coupons even and the sticker shock was unbearable. Plus the people that work there are absolutely clueless. They were really pushing the dry food. I lived near the american border so I started to buy my food online and pick it up in the states. I had to move this summer far away from the border. I stocked up before i moved but I am going to have to replenish soon and I am freaking out. So i understand your pain. I really got to get going on switching them over to raw but I am scared. I wish there was a starter book on how to convert to raw. Half joking here, but my property is full of squirrels and I am eyeing them up.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Us Ontarioians like to pay more for everything so we feel rich :/

I found a few independent pet stores in GTA, but they are more or less the same price. The ones in downtown charge even more than GlobalPetFood. The ones that are charging a few pennies less are too far from my place. Not worth the driving considering the ridiculous gas price, so I will stick with GlobalPetFood for now.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
PS: Petsmart carries Wellness (regular ones, not core), and they sometimes have decent deals. There was the 20% off deal in July, and I stocked 3 cases of 12oz cans :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually what I paid does sound right, hst alone is 13% plus other taxes so I don't think I get ripped off since I always pay that or more there every week.

Guess the girls won't be get Weruva anymore... How can they increase the price when it is already 2.50 a can. That is outrageous. Oh well won't be buying that anymore. As for Evo, my girls dont like that much so pointless to buy the big cans.

I find global pet foods to have more variety of wet foods but not much better in price, a bit though since I think pet value is by far the worst. You are right, the staff really pushes certain brands

Us Ontarioians like to pay more for everything so we feel rich :/
Ya really, eh. Especially how the job market is crap, we obviously have extra cash to pay double normal price.

Pet value has started to sell wellness core... But only the fish and chicken/turkey kinds. The new flavours I found at big Al's but they were $2.60 per can. Of course that is their favourite now. Lol

I'll probably start going to global pet foods more now instead seeing how I only went to pet value because they sold Weruva.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, us ontarians like to get spanked. I moved here from manitoba and had culture shock with the hydro costs and the auto insurance, even my cell phone was more. There is more competition here, doesn't make sense to me. How was it that British Columbia was able to get rid of their hst but we just are so subservient to Daddy McGuinty? Sorry this isn't the place for political rants, our cats don't vote.
Thank you for the link, hoofmaiden. I think i already have it in my favorites. Problem is I think I am in information overload now and don't know how to start. I have one cat that I think will give me more trouble than the other. She is the one that is giving me trepidation but I will just have to get on the horse and just do it.
3furbabies, have you tried feed stores? I think I read somehwere that they sometimes carry good brands and if they don't, have the resources to order it in for you. It may be cheaper that route. I am going to look into it myself as I don't think I will be able to convert my cats to raw without some backup canned food for the first little while.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Group hug to Ontarioians! BC ppl didn't get hst because they voted it out. Us ontarioians are peaceful lambs who like to feel rich (by paying more), so we didn't even have a vote arranged. But anyway, I still love Toronto and think it's one of the best city to live in :D

I'll probably start going to global pet foods more now instead seeing how I only went to pet value because they sold Weruva.
I think GlobalPetFood has Weruva also? I bought the BFF version there, so it would be odd if they don't carry the regular Weruva. But never paid attention, as Weruva is never on my radar. That brand is way too expensive (and somehow less filling to my cats) even before price rise.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, us ontarians like to get spanked. I moved here from manitoba and had culture shock with the hydro costs and the auto insurance, even my cell phone was more. There is more competition here, doesn't make sense to me. How was it that British Columbia was able to get rid of their hst but we just are so subservient to Daddy McGuinty? Sorry this isn't the place for political rants, our cats don't vote.
Thank you for the link, hoofmaiden. I think i already have it in my favorites. Problem is I think I am in information overload now and don't know how to start. I have one cat that I think will give me more trouble than the other. She is the one that is giving me trepidation but I will just have to get on the horse and just do it.
3furbabies, have you tried feed stores? I think I read somehwere that they sometimes carry good brands and if they don't, have the resources to order it in for you. It may be cheaper that route. I am going to look into it myself as I don't think I will be able to convert my cats to raw without some backup canned food for the first little while.

Oh yes don't get me started about this province. Lol. As for feed stores..... There are definitely not any where I live. I have seen stores like that waaaaay up in the sticks . I wish shipping was reasonable because I would order online but when the shipping is double the price of the actual food it's pointless

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Group hug to Ontarioians! BC ppl didn't get hst because they voted it out. Us ontarioians are peaceful lambs who like to feel rich (by paying more), so we didn't even have a vote arranged. But anyway, I still love Toronto and think it's one of the best city to live in :D

I think GlobalPetFood has Weruva also? I bought the BFF version there, so it would be odd if they don't carry the regular Weruva. But never paid attention, as Weruva is never on my radar. That brand is way too expensive (and somehow less filling to my cats) even before price rise.
They have BFF but not Weruva (at least the one I go to) . The cats don't like BFF much even though it's pretty much the same thing. I agree, it is way too expensive, my cats will be getting that once in a while as a treat but that's it unfortunately and you are right, they always seem hungry after.... I know there's less calories and some people suggest feeding them double of it but can you imagine feeding one cat two of those a day? So 4 cans for me? $10 a day to feed to cats. Eeep

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ha,ha. I am hypnotized by the charm of ontario also and will most likely retire here. But I would like to be catfood santa claus and bring all the cheaper cat food from the u.s.a and give it all the good boy and girl ontario cats. Oh,if I only could, the world would be a better place, don't you think?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
We still get HST, it hasn't been phased out yet. It will be though... eventually. And it'll cost us a ton of money to get rid of. For us it was really the principle of the thing, we'd just voted a govement in that had said they wouldn't go through with tax hikes, and it was first thing they did.

Most of my family lives in Ontario... one from Ottawa just moved to Vancouver (and is super excited about the -5 to 25 degree temperate range haha), and a few others came visiting recently. They all were socked at the greenery (I guess we aren't as built up as Ontario) and how friendly people were... I was just like "we are?" and they said "yeah... people even LINE UP to get on buses!" ... I didn't know there was any other way to get on them! :p But I've been to Ontario several times and liked it, although the humidity when I got off the plane once almost suffocated me. I acclimated pretty quickly though.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm mad at BC since UVic killed all their bunnies >:[

The Globalpetfoods here definitely has Weruva. I don't think I've seen the CORE there, but I generally buy 13oz so Weruva's out anyways. I forgot about the combines sales tax in Ont. I've lived in Alberta so long (no hst/pst, just the 5%) that I don't even think about it. It's weird though, because I thought pet food was exempt from taxes, like clothes? Guess not.

But I won't say anything else because I sort of like taxes (so long as they have the social programs to go with them.) As an (ex-!!! omg) smoker I feel like I have paid more taxes than any non-smoking Canadian living in Ontario, so... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I'm mad at BC since UVic killed all their bunnies >:[
Most people were really mad about that. However, they were out of control. Who was going to care for all those rabbits? I know some were trapped and saved but I suppose they don't have room to save them all. In some parts of my city - in a situation getting similar to UVic - there are a ridiculous amount of rabbits; some reports putting the number at over one thousand. I read one article saying in 3 weeks, 30 thousand in damages were done to one farmer due to rabbits.

Since that cull there have been articles about vets, or at least one in particular, doing free work, neutering hundreds of rabbits in his spare time. There's also talk of another rabbit sanctuary opening.

It's really difficult, even after banning rabbits in pet stores, we still have far too many on the streets... (Feral Rabbit Problem Growing At Richmond Auto Mall)

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but have you considered doing some "online research" and seeing if you can find an online retailer that ships to Canada (Amazon, etc.) and seeing if you can get free shipping if you buy in bulk?

I used to buy my cat's canned food at the pet store, but after I did some calculations on some Amazon sellers who offered free shipping, it was actually cheaper, per ounce, to buy it online! I live in the U.S., so I know things are a bit different, but it's worth a try.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts