Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any knowledge about Peterbalds (the Russian Sphynx; NOT the Canadian/North American Sphynx, which is more common)? What are their temperaments/personalities like? What sort of care do they require?

I have been looking into the breed and I know that they have Oriental Shorthair in their background, which is the breed of my 2 kittens. In my explorations, I met a Peterbald breeder. She has just let me know that a kitten has come available. He was going to be used by her as a breeder but he has a thick cornea (?) and his eyes are different colours. He will not have terrible vision but it won't be 20/20, so she won't be breeding him.

He is adorable but I'm afraid of how the social hierarchy will change if I move from 2 to 3 cats. Fortunately, both of my cats are young (under 1 year of age) and pretty laid back. However, I would feel terrible if one cat was picked on mercilessly by the others. Any advice??

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know much about the breed, but I have understood that it is a hairless Oriental/Siamese, with the same breed standard, except for the fur, of course.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For anyone that's curious, here is a brief profile on Peterbalds.

http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_ ... erbal.html

Earlier this year, they were accepted for championship status in TICA.
They're not for everyone but I find them adorable, as well as extremely friendly and affectionate.

Depending on how my visit to a cattery goes, I am considering adopting one to complete my family (currently have 2 Oriental Shorthairs). Given that Peterbalds have Siamese/Oriental in their heritage and tend to be extremely friendly, I think this little Peterbald may fit nicely into my home...but we'll see how it goes. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts