Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listed Screech on this site and got a response. The woman lives in CA and I live in MA. She seems to be seeking a cat for her daughter. I asked her why she was interested in him since they live in CA. I also told her about him. I said I would think her daughter would want a cat that she can put her face on the cat's face to snuggle with, which you can't do with Screech. I told her if she was still interested in him I would want to talk to her on the phone. I just fear that people search the internet looking for cats to get to sell to science. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when doing this type of thing. I just have fears because Screech is 10 years old, fat, black, can be an only cat, and you can't put your face next to his or he'll give you a painful love bite. I just have this feeling he will not find a home and will end up in a shelter (no kill of course). I don't have to find him a home right away but he will need to go somewhere when they sell Karl's home (he died). I found Karl's geese a home right away (not fair) but I know finding a home for Screech will be very hard. Who wants a cat that is fat (20 lbs and on a diet), 10 years old, has to be an only cat, and who you can't suggle up with? Most people want a younger cat. Help!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Perfect home would be an older person who's experience with cats who's recently lost their cat and doesn't want to start over with a kitten and also doesn't want needy kitty.
At 10 years old Screech could have a lot of years left in him especially if he can lose the excess weight.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It does seem odd that someone from CA is looking at an older cat in MA.
Maybe she didn't realize your location?

I work with a rescue group and list cats on Petfinder all the time. We use an application process- maybe you could look at some application forms and make one up for yourself to use. We verify that where the potential adopter lives allows pets, do a vet reference check, and on occassion do a home visit.

If I were you, I would try to find a home for Screech locally. You could also contact some local rescue groups (check Petfinder by zip code!) and see if they can help you get Screech placed into a purr-fect home.

We do adopt out older cats successfully- just adopted one out that is 13 years old!

Thank you for trying to find him a home.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just fear that people search the internet looking for cats to get to sell to science. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when doing this type of thing.

I get adopters from all over our (admittedly small) country. They have to come visit here first. When making the appointment for the visit I explain we always bring the cat to its new home ourselves. This is so the cat is introduced into its new environment by people it knows but of course it is also very useful for us to see where the cat ends up. I know rescuers who ended up at hoarders houses and took the cat back home in stead of leaving it in that situation. You can't do that if the adopter picks up the cat from your house.
We work with a contract which I send to potential adopters by e-mail before their visit.
There is a clause in the contract that the adopter will not sell or give away the cat without contacting us first to see if we can find a better solution for the cat (including but not restricted to us taking back the cat). Also that the cat will not be put down unless medically necessary.
We ask adopters to show us some ID, we but the registration number of the ID on the contract too.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I think I'd be wary of this person. If they were sincere, they could easily find a cat or kitten within about 5 miles of their home. There would also be no good reason to put your kitty through the ordeal of traveling, if it came to that. I have a feeling it's a scammer of some type. I'm reminded of my husband's Craig's List ad to be a DJ, and a taker he had from Arizona . . . just makes no sense.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. My gut feeling is that this person is not the right one. I don't think I will find him a home so I am going to call 2 no kill cat shelters. I feel so sorry for Screech. It's upsetting me.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Missy was close to ten, fat and had matted hair when I adopted her. She's lost a littleweight, but I refuse to put her on a strict diet at her age, and really, she doesn't pig out. Perhaps an older person who'd like a companion and has an understanding of old age. But be careful, cats can be a lot of work and the personwould need to be able to handle Screech.

People selling cats for science is one of the reasons for adoption fees. The fee could be donated to a shelter if taking money for bothers you.

Don't know if I've posted this before but I had a stray once that I named Screech. That was the name we had for a particular wild brand of wine when I was in the Royal Navy and when I found Screech I was suffering from a vicious headache.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
sounds extremely suspicious to me!

oh my gosh! i can't imagine ANY good reason someone in CA would want to adopt a cat from MA. i would definitely recommend you NOT send your kitty across country to someone you will never meet. i totally agree with October. if someone really were a cat lover, they would easily be able to find one in their own state if not at a shelter within 10 miles of their house. and in regard to screech being hard to adopt out, i swear there is the right match for him out there closeby.

like Jusjim, we adopted a kitty who was 10 years old (turning 11 this june), was severely overweight when she was given up (she's now down from 16 lbs to @9 lbs), and had matted hair. in fact she had poop in her hair the night we adopted her, but we STILL fell in love with her! plus she is a bit of a biter. the shelter had all kinds of problems with her while she was there. her file showed she had to be sedated, shaved, given medications, didn't like to play, didn't like other cats, etc... if a kitty like that can be adopted, then i think there is hope for Screech.

please don't send Screech to CA. i have a terrible feeling about that woman.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've used PetFinders twice; both times I received multiple, almost identical responses. The person wants a cat for their daughter/son; his/her birthday is this weekend; oh please can we have this cat. They live in the mid-west. When I ask for more information, they tell me exactly the size of the fence, don't worry about shipping costs cause they have used this great shipping service before; etc. An obvious scam, I reported it to PetFinder, no response.
I would send the person an adoption application; insist that they meet the cat, and ask for an adoption fee (you can always donate it to the local SPCA/rescue group). And definitely go with your "gut" feelings.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Trust your gut feelings when adopting out a cat.

Our adoption forms have obvious questions which help us gage whether this person knows what is required to have a cat. The money issue, the vet issues, the time issue, the indoor outdoor issue. When they fill it out it gives you a feel for where they are at. You can do home inspections before letting a cat go.

I personally wouldnt adopt out to a person across the country unless someone could vouch for them. Did they say how they were going to get the cat to their home? Sound wacky to me.

Facebook groups are another way to get the word out in the cat community that a cat needs a home. Try that also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts