Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this thread has already been made!

I have a bad habit of looking on petfinder for both cats and dogs. And there are so many that I would love to adopt! Sometimes I check back on their status.

Coco: Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Tortoiseshell | Cincinnati, OH | Coco

I saw her when I got Shadow. I wanted her too but only wanted to start with one cat. It is tempting to go and get her but I don't know if it is too soon for Shadow. Our apartment also only allows 2 pets and my fiance and I would like to get a dog after getting married.

Suzie: Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Domestic Long Hair | Cincinnati, OH | Susie

She looks so sweet and fluffy!

Patience: Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Domestic Short Hair-Orange | Cincinnati, OH | Patience

I want to own an orange kitty some day.

Backster: Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Domestic Short Hair | Cincinnati, OH | Backster

Most people wouldn't like his face but I love it

Jessie: Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Domestic Short Hair | Cincinnati, OH | Jessie

Saw her at the SPCA too and she is a sweetie!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has this problem!!

I only look on Petfinder VERY occasionally (Dang it - I probably will look now!), but I am Facebook friends with 2 rescue groups around me - the one we adopted our babies at, and another one that holds adoptions at the PetSmart I go to. I always check their adoptable and adopted cats. ;) There is one particular cat from the rescue group we used - a DMH 1 year old calico tabby named Tabitha - who my husband and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE (we met her at the house where we got ours) - but our apartment complex has a 2 cat limit. :( She is just the most gorgeous, sweetest cat.

The MINUTE (well, maybe we'll wait a couple days to unpack most of the boxes) we own our own place we're getting another one (or two...)...thankfully, my husband and I are both cat people. :-D

·
Registered
469 Posts
I do this all of the time, even though I can not adopt another kitty. I am glad to know I am not the only one, cause I get made fun of for it. There was one cat named Rinata that I was in love with. I looked at her profile all of the time. She had been at her shelter for awhile. Then she moved to the adopted kitties list and I had a weird mixture of excitement and disappointment cause she will now never be mine. I guess that is the nature of 'crushes' though lol.

Does anyone else also regularly check craigslist out?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Even though my husband has said that 3 is our limit (and I sort-of agree with him), I go nuts looking. I found Forte on Petfinder- that's how we got our third.

But what's worse is, like yellowdaisies said, "liking" pages for rescues and shelters on Facebook. My local humane society posts constant barrages of pictures and stories about cats and dogs and kittens and puppies and sad stories. A few days ago, they posted a separate album of six pictures of a 6-month old cat who has been at the shelter his whole life. They were pleading for someone to adopt him. They said he is so sweet and loving and playful, but he hasn't been adopted because a URI as a kitten infected his eye and left him with some eye scarring. They said he keeps getting sick because he has lived at the shelter for so long. He is great with all people and animals.

I'll have to find the pics later and post them, because they were so sweet. I ended up asking to foster him if he gets sick again so that I could get my husband to fall for him.

I know where he's coming from, though... we can afford and take care of another cat, we have the space, if it's a young male cat, our Coda-girl will be able to handle it, and our two boys would love another playmate, but... we don't plan on having kids for another couple of years, and we don't know how life will be like then. We would never give up our cats for any reason, but life may be incredibly stressful once kids get in the mix. And then we'll have much less time than we do now. I'm a little afraid that our cats will be shunted to the side when a baby comes, because our cats are constantly in our laps when we are home, and we just won't have time to sit around and cuddle them for hours like we are now.

*pouts* Stupid logic and responsibility.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I go on Petfinder from time to time...although I try not to do so too often, since it makes me sad to read stories and I'm at my limit with my two girls right now. I can't help but think back to the very difficult introduction I went through with Muffs and Abby...not something I want to go through again for a long time.

That said, I couldn't help but peek at the links you posted and I'm absolutely in love with Susie, not because of the name! But I love long-haired cats and she's absolutely adorable.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Oh yeah, guilty. I've looked so much that I now have real pet peeves (excuse the pun) about how the web sites are set up. I mean, would it kill you to have a little write-up about each cat?! I've got to believe those write-ups work in terms of getting people invested before they meet the kitty. And please people, include sections for cats that have been adopted! We need some good news after feeling bad that we can't adopt the ones we've fallen for on the regular listings.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I look eeevery once in a while. But try not to do it too often because like others, it just makes me sad that I can't adopt any more cats right now.

The good news is they do actually keep listings up for pets that have been adopted! I dunno if there's a separate page showcasing them, but those happy stories are there somewhere.

I keep this page bookmarked, and it makes me happy every time I go to it: Petfinder Adopted Cat | Siamese | Woodland Hills, CA | Teena
That's Athena, and I am proud that it now says "An adopted cat." :)

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
That adopted listing must make you feel great! I never had one of those for either Rookie or Murphy.

Does anyone else have links to their own cat's adopted posting?

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I have to completly aviod sites like that... it's just sad seeing all the animals that I can't adopt.

For about half a year I was visiting sites like petfinder frequently because my aunt was looking for a puppy, seeing all the cats and dogs (even though sometimes far away) wasn't doing me any good, I wanted my aunt to adopt them all! I'm glad my aunt finally found a pup, we're going to get her on Friday. I might pic spam you guys with puppy pictures, haha.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yeah, I scan through them every couple of weeks. I try to justify it by saying it's for honorable reasons. I log in and look for a few specific dog breeds and then call the breed rescue contacts in that area. ..... and while Im there already I may as well surf through the local cats :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
I browse the animals on Petfinder all the time. I came across Backster a while back and fell in love with him, but my parents won't allow me to have anymore animals since I own 6 cats, 1 betta, and 1 horse. The three dogs belong to my mother, father, and brother. I would've adopted Backster in a heartbeat. I hope he gets adopted by a wonderful family who treats him right. :sad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah.. I go through Petfinder and Craigslist from time to time, and I really shouldn't since I'm at my limit with 2.
I am, however, happy to report that one of my 'crushes' Felix (a gorgeous, huge, fluffy black and white male) was adopted :)

Sweet Pea, sadly, is still on there. I hate seeing cats over the age of 10 in shelters, and it's heartbreaking because she was such a timid little thing at the adoption events ):
Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Domestic Short Hair | Kitty Hawk, NC | Sweet Pea

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
I am totally addicted to Petfinder!! I have adopted 5 old cats. People don't want old cats, but I have such a heart for these old babies. I just don't understand getting rid of a 9, 10 (or in Sam's case), a 12 year old cat! 3 of my old babies came to us courtesy of Petfinder. They are often traumatised by the change, but they will eventually reward you with unconditional love!

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Does anyone else have links to their own cat's adopted posting?
I have copies of the twins' Pet Finder ads, where they were listed with different birth dates. And in separate foster homes. Thank goodness I insisted on having them double-check, I can't imagine one being without the other.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Oh, you too? I like to look about once a week or so, just too see what's new. Also, I'm always looking for a Manx, as when my last one died, I couldn't find any at all---neither breeders, nor on Petfinder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found this guy I absolutely fell in love with.... I cant get him though because I have 5 months left on my lease and we arnt exactly supposed to have cats.... Hiding one for the next 5 months is gonna be hard enough... :( Here he is.... Ive never seen a cat with stripes that stand out like his. I think hes SO PRETTY..... And its sad I cant help him.. Hes stuck in a kill shelter :(

Milo

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think Bunny looks so snuggly!! And Milo is sooooo handsome. What a beautiful, deep red. I hope someone comes for all of them soon.

I think this girl is so unique looking Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Siamese | Salem, OR | Pearl 025 She has been on Petfinder for about a year now, I don't know how long she has been at this organization.

So has Crinkle, who I think is so pretty with his orange eyes on his buff colored coat Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Tabby | Salem, OR | Crinkle 808 foster

And this girl is just beyond beautiful Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Russian Blue | Portland, OR | Inessa

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think Bunny looks so snuggly!! And Milo is sooooo handsome. What a beautiful, deep red. I hope someone comes for all of them soon.

I think this girl is so unique looking Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Siamese | Salem, OR | Pearl 025 She has been on Petfinder for about a year now, I don't know how long she has been at this organization.

So has Crinkle, who I think is so pretty with his orange eyes on his buff colored coat Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Tabby | Salem, OR | Crinkle 808 foster

And this girl is just beyond beautiful Petfinder Adoptable Cat | Russian Blue | Portland, OR | Inessa
That siamese is so pretty and unique looking.

There's a siamese rescue very close to my condo and there's this little siamese cat who has been on petfinder for months. Makes me wish I could just drive over there and take him home.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The only time I go to PetFinder is to update the list of cats from the rescue group I volunteer with. I update, then leave! It's bad enough I see cats 3 times a week (when I go clean at the sanctuary) that need homes, I don't need to look at MORE!
At least the ones in the sanctuary get my love and attention about every other day... so that gets me my "fix", sortta... And of course I have favorites that IF an opportunity came that I could adopt again, I have a list of about 2 dozen (of about 5 dozen) I would want to snatch up in an instant!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts