Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Thanks for an y advice.
I've been petsitting forever & have not come across this unique issue for which I'm so torn or just up in the air about.
Have a big job 3x a day for 5 days.5 cats & 1 Lab.Owner wants to restrict water for all to cut down on bathroom visits.
After 3 wks,I'm still torn .In the morn especially poor kitties tackle me for small amOunts of water,lunch not so bad but nighttime needs .ore with food cause that's when I feed them wet food.Dry stays out all day as does dog food.
Poor Lab can't drink enough! Then have accident in morn on her carpet! Trying to do better with water at night!
And using more of her litter!
Seriously having a problem of what I feel is depriving the babies of much needed water!
Can u help me with this dilemma? And no she hasn't stated any health reason other than avoiding accidents & litter box overuse.Only '2 boxes used for the 5 to begin with.Thanks so much & sorry so long.Am losing sleep bout this job!

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
If I was in your position, I would give the pets as much water as they need. Do what’s in the best interest of those pets. Talk to the owner and explain your concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for reply,Icordaro! Was excited to see some help this morn!
Just got back.Sad when kitties are falling over each other for water.Also when there is 5 & only bottom of bowl filledhow do you know little ones got any? I also can't see how large dog like a lab has enough to wash dry food down.Yes, I went with my instincts this morn and did what I thought was best.Funny, but glad I never come across this situation before in all my years! Talking to owner in this case would be looked at , I'm afraid,as telling her what to do bout her animals & she knows them best.
I'm gonna do me & if it ends ,oh well, don't need the stress I guess.
Y'all have a great Monday& thanks again.

·
Registered
831 Posts
To restrict water intake is cruel and it can lead to health problems and should never ever be done unless directed for a very short amount of time by a vet.
You might look this up and provide the owner with solid information on this that might change their minds about doing this to their animals.
Dehydration is very horrible to experience and is damaging to the organism.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mosi,I had read that as well as with digestion of dry food.She would definitely want to hear this from professionals so I could advise her to please ask her vet about it
Thanks so much.On the way now.Looks like I will be shelling out for extra litter as they do have large pee deposits.AsI feel it comes from drinking all they can get at one sitting!
Take care & be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts