Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Emmy for about a month and a half now. At first she was very sweet and cuddly. Now she is a beast. She will be sweet and cuddly when I first wake-up in the morning and whenever I get home. But for the most part she is just a beast. I was just sitting playing with her for a good 45-minutes until she was tired out and she came over and attacked my arm. Even when I am not playing with her or anything sometimes she will come over and with her claws out grab me and bite. She has never actually gotten to bite me as I get her off of me very quickly. I've tried a spray bottle and making certain noises and telling her no and walking away when she does it and nothing seems to have any effect. I went out and bought her some new toys yesterday thinking that maybe she was bored and that was why I was having a long play session with her this morning, but I don't know what her issue is. She's about 11months old now. Is she going through a phase or if she is bored or is this is just who she is? I am wondering if maybe getting another cat will help her if she is bored? And if this is just who she is how can I change this behavior?

·
Registered
600 Posts
She could very well be bored. It is great that you are playing with her (make sure a toy is between you two, like Da Bird), but there's no great substitute for another playmate. I think she's just trying to play-wrestle with you like she would with another cat (cats play with their teeth and claws). If you can support another cat, I would definitely recommend getting another one! 5-8 months would be a good age for the new cat--smaller than your current cat so that she'll accept kitty easily, and not so tiny that they can't roughhouse with each other.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
If she's not already spayed, then that should be done ASAP. If she is spayed, she may as paperbacknovel suggested just be bored, and I agree with her suggestion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is already spayed, yes. I'm going to try setting aside a few dedicated play sessions a day and see if that helps. I'm also going to start looking into getting another cat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts