Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm sure I'm just being a paranoid mama... But does high phosphorus CAUSE renal problems or only aggravate an existing condition? Mandy is very very healthy according to her lab report this week and I want to keep it that way! She does have a class 4 heart murmur but her diet can't change that >.< Anyway, side-tracked...

Will a high phosphorus diet CAUSE her problems and is there a way to feed her a HIGH protein food that isn't high in phosphorus as well? :catmilk

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Cats require phosphorus in their diets, and healthy kidneys can process phosphorus just fine, so you really have nothing to worry about until and unless her kidneys start to lose function. I'm assuming, of course, that her current serum phosphorus is within the lab's reference range. If, however, her serum phosphorus is elevated above the lab's reference range, then reducing her dietary phosphorus is advisable.

Laurie

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The veterinarian didn't specifically say what her level is at, just gave a general "all levels are normal". She did say Mandy had smallish kidneys but it was just an observation not a diagnosis of anything. But you answered my question, phosphorus doesn't actually cause problems. Thank you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts