Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 common domestic cats ranging from 1yo to 16yo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my 4 cats (common domestic cats), the black one, nibbles almost anything, he nibbled my arms since he was a kitten and we “fought“ playfully like he did with his brothers, now he is three years old and still chews clothes (especially socks and t-shirts under the armpit, destroying them), bedclothes (holes everywhere!), tapes and cords (sometimes ingesting them), bags, etc. When he eats things he makes us worry because he could die or cause more serious damage to the house. I tried the gentle No to stop such habits, to no avail. I tried to distract him with plenty of toys (he ate some of those too!) and scratching posts and a cat “castle” and even a younger cat to play with. My black cat is the sweetest cat in the world and I must say my “favorite“, even though I love all of them, because he always likes to get together and play, follows me everywhere, wants to cuddle and be cuddled, greets nose-to-nose and licks my hair as if I were another cat.
I read articles about the pica syndrome but I haven’t found a fix so far. My cat does not seem to be stressed. He was not separated too early from his mother. He does not pee out of the box. The vet says this cat is perfectly healthy and there is nothing we can do about pica. I had to hide clothes and stuff, lock doors and drawers he would open to eat the clothes, etcetera, but he always finds something else to chew.
Advice?

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
Well ok then! I cheated! I asked dr. google! who knew! Pica CAN have physiological causes!
Dietary Needs: Pica occurs in cats whose dietary needs aren't being met, resulting in hunger, mineral deficiency, vitamin deficiency, or a lack of fiber. Feline Disease: Pica is a symptom of an underlying disease such as FIV, hyperthyroidism, anemia, feline leukemia, dental disease, diabetes, and others.

Take your buddy to a vet and tease the question "Can you help me find out if there is a physical causality for my cat's PICA, I don't know, maybe like oh say --- FIV, hyperthyroidism, anemia, feline leukemia, dental disease, diabetes?
Could we maybe test for those just to see?"
check out Unusual Cat Cravings: Why Is My Cat Eating That? and scroll down to medical problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well ok then! I cheated! I asked dr. google! who knew! Pica CAN have physiological causes!
Dietary Needs: Pica occurs in cats whose dietary needs aren't being met, resulting in hunger, mineral deficiency, vitamin deficiency, or a lack of fiber. Feline Disease: Pica is a symptom of an underlying disease such as FIV, hyperthyroidism, anemia, feline leukemia, dental disease, diabetes, and others.

Take your buddy to a vet and tease the question "Can you help me find out if there is a physical causality for my cat's PICA, I don't know, maybe like oh say --- FIV, hyperthyroidism, anemia, feline leukemia, dental disease, diabetes?
Could we maybe test for those just to see?"
check out Unusual Cat Cravings: Why Is My Cat Eating That? and scroll down to medical problems.
Thanks a lot. Vet says my buddy is healthy, and this cat has been nibbling and happily hyperactive since he was a kitten, so it looks like he was “born this way”, to quote Lady Gaga… Anyway I’ll try and dig deeper into the possible physical causes, just to rule out any possibility.
To be honest, I doubt he will ever change, so I am mainly focused on diverting his energy towards some other targets (perhaps dog toys? I guess they are tougher than normal cat toys).

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
It's the digital cable wires that needed tooth testing! We resorted to these sheathings intended to prevent cable curling -- Seems to have acquired the "taste" for them while in foster mum's house -- but she didn't mention it until after adoption, and she was well settled. By then Franny had us so wrapped around her paw that we'd cope with anything. I wonder if it could be the hunter thingy-- a bit of rip and tear from time to time? What she could do to cardboard was really impressive! She had a tiny toy from her kitten days that she treasured but we switched to puppy toys, in fabric - for the teething stage of puppies.
Dog Toy Carnivore Fawn Llama
Dog Vertebrate Giraffe Dog breed Mammal
finding the right size was the issue. It is offering a yes to the behavior that worked for us.
Cats gotta Cat -- that hunter rip and tear
Outerwear Arm Toy Product Azure
. We focused a lot on the hunt part until exhausted. Either Franny or us! And -- ping pong balls -- wonderful for hunting simulations.
That said -- from what I understand Vets don't go looking for a physio base for pica -- yet there seems to be a connection if you google cause for pica -- and the sources are credible. Call it "The Course of Least Regret".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
FIV, hyperthyroidism, anemia, feline leukemia, dental disease, diabetes?
The young nibbler tested negative for FIV and feline leukemia, so we can rule those out.
I might ask the vet to do a bloodwork to check thyroid hormones and the other diseases.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The young nibbler tested negative for FIV and feline leukemia, so we can rule them out.
I might ask the vet to do a bloodwork to check thyroid hormones and the other diseases.
Good on ya! give me a few moments while I happy dance! Listen -- if you do the tests -- you can mount a sign on the front door -- Welcome, this house and all within it is the property and pleasure of a Certified and fully inspected -- Nibbler. Selfie snaps and autographs available upon request!

PS... the merch possibilities alone are compelling -- ehh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts