Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever get tempted to get another cat just because you thought of a really good name for one? I'm constantly thinking of good names, even though there's no chance we'll get another cat. Murphy is a "must be an only," which I confirmed with his previous owner. So in the 0% chance that we get a second cat, I can't decide between Smitty or Pocono. :D

·
Banned
439 Posts
I thought of 2 great names for my 2 cats long before I adopted them.

When I heard their pre adoption names, I didn't care for either of them.

However, once I had the little rascals, those precognition names didn't seem to fit.

It took me 3 Months of interaction and observation before I came up with names
that were really suitable to each cat, so I recommend waiting to name your cats
until you get a lot more familiar with them. you'll both enjoy the names a lot more.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I've always wanted to have a buff colored cat and name it Bailey (as in Irish Cream).

Of the 5 cats I've had, 2 were unplanned so they were named after I got them (Callie & Kobi). The other 3 had pre-chosen names. Onyx and Holly worked out fine. Maggie was originally Magic, but it just didn't fit her and I ended up morphing it to Maggie.

·
Banned
41 Posts
When we got our cat his other names were Bailey and Bandit, but hubby decided to call him Buddy, and before we adopted Mary I was going to change her name to either Amber or Poppy, but decided to stay with her original name and now it actually suits her.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
petspy- What names did you choose? I'm dyin to know!!

None of my planned names have ever stuck- besides Elfie. We got him a day after I'd finished a book about a black and white cat named Elphie and I really wanted to have a cat with that name. Then we had Rusty, originally planning on naming his Autumn (yuck!) and Fella, originally gonna be called Dakota after the state where we found him. The name I'd planned on having for Nito was Higgins or Alex. Nito isn't even close!!

·
Banned
439 Posts
RachandNito said:
petspy- What names did you choose? I'm dyin to know!!
LOL, I feel like a celebrity birth watch;
everyone wants to know the gender and name :lol:

after 4 Months of observation - I'm going to stick with;

Chuck & Grace

for many reasons that I won't bore you with,
those names seem to fit them both perfectly.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
LOL, I feel like a celebrity birth watch;
everyone wants to know the gender and name
Yes, but for some reason cat names are always so much more interesting and fitting to the individual than celebrity baby names.

Chuck and Grace- they are perfectly fitting names for your two lovely Korats. Especially Chuck (since I know the charming back story :lol:)

·
Super Moderator
26,358 Posts
"Hurley" (from Lost) would have been appropriate, too! :lol:

·
Banned
439 Posts
I was inspired to call him Chuck after posting this diatribe;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55611&start=17
but he's is also a rough and tumble, lovable selfish slob,
so it's fitting, even after his stomach finally settled down.

Grace came mostly from her loyalty, token affection,
meticulous self grooming and litter box habits, how
she watches over her subjects and their territory,
and she's the mother of two litters of pedigree royalty.

since Chuck is short for Charles - it also connotes a
royal lineage - Chuck's the black sheep of the family.

I like the fact both names are single syllables that
sound totally different, and work as Chucky or Gracy.
Now that I've settle on these, I'm going to patiently
train them to respond to their names - wish me luck :wink:

I actually found all this royal pedigree lineage crap ridiculous.
and laughed when the breeder gave me their family tree going
back 6 generations - like I care. I'm just glad they are healthy.

I think when I named them pre-adoption,
it was like I was giving names to objects.
now that I know them, giving them names
is a surprisingly more intimate process.
It never occurred to be before I had these
cats for a few Months, just how distinctive
each cats personality might be. this is why
I advise you delay naming a cat for a while.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
October said:
Lisa, where did Kobi come from? That wasn't a reference to Mr. Bryant, was it?
Nope...

Since Kobi was an impulse adoption I didn't have any ideas in mind when I got him and he wasn't keeping his shelter name (Aaron). It just came from a list of cat names I found somewhere. I liked it, it seemed to fit...it was done.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
At the time I adopted (or did she adopt me?) Arianwen, I had just re-read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and wanted a folklore-ish cat name. I had also been reminiscing about Sam, who had died many years before.
I went on a few cat forums, including this one, asking for names, and someone suggested Arianwen.
It seemed to fit her so well, and she immediately responded to her name as if it was familiar to her. My sweet kitteh knew her name from the first time she heard it!
Turned out, that was a foreshadowing of wonderful things to come. :heart

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I actually did choose a name before I got my second cat.. I had in my mind EXACTLY the type of kitty I wanted and searched rescue shelters (resisting the urge to take other cute kitties) until I found my beautiful girl.

She's a medium hair, all (dark) grey kitty and she's so sweet & affectionate - never stops purring, it just gets louder and louder. She's also a cheeky little monkey at times, climbing to the top of the floor to roof sratching post on her first day with me, knocking over tins of food cos apparently she wants to eat more than she should.

The name I LOVED & called her is Meeka and I think it suits her really, really well. :D

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Hehe, Nito was Ice when I got him. We were calling him Courage though because he was such a scaredy boy, hiding from or growling at toys, the other cats, and even at his own reflection! He'd only play with my metal dresser handles, strangely enough. He's bat those around like crazy. My BF suggested Magneto, and Nito for short- it was cute and he responded to it easily. I think it's pretty fitting :cat3

·
Registered
8 Posts
RachelandNito :

I saw your signature of your cat 'Magneto' !

How beautiful !
Odd coloured eyes !

If I had a cat with odd coloured eyes I would clearly call it Bowie :]

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Thanks missxneko! Can you believe no one wanted him? Skinny, bony, and anti social little kitten. But he's opened up and now he's a great guy! He was just scared at the shelter. Hehe, Bowie, that would be cute.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts