Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that cats have a hard time eating the last part of the food on their plates because they can't pick it up? Say pate, chicken chunks that are a bit flat, etc. I find myself piling up the food again and again till they're done eating. What's your experience?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
....I walk away. Mine only get about 10-20 minutes to eat before I remove the food, regardless of food stuck to plate. When hungry enough they find a way to chew it off the plate.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I find that cats have a hard time eating the last part of the food on their plates because they can't pick it up? Say pate, chicken chunks that are a bit flat, etc. I find myself piling up the food again and again till they're done eating. What's your experience?
From just recently when I noticed Missy getting frustrated, almost, when I put down some flakes of chicken, and then walking away leaving some uneaten, I've been mashing her food with a little water. That goes for the flakes and the pate food. She's having a much easier time. Bits of cooked chicken get cut quite small. Sardine gets mashed witht the bone removed. If I don't take the bone away it gets rolled to the side of the dish.

Also, I used to have a dish of Friskies dry for her to eat and in case she got hungry but she rarely touched it. Then after a four day stay in hospital for me when I needed to get in touch with my neighbour to go in and feed her (I live alone), I cut the top off the dry food bag and left it for her. She loved it. I think it may be because she can get her nose down into it making the kibble easier to pick up.

I keep most of the kibble in the fridge and when her bag gets low, I empty whats left into a container. Then I put fresh into the bag and tip the old on top. Nine months now with no complaints. I should also mention that she gets frequent small meals and this seems to have cut down on her vomiting. Rare now. (fingers crossed) She was overweight when I got her and seems to have lost some.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
My girls could lick the spots off a leopard.

They have little bowls, which makes it easier to get those last smooshed down bits of food than on a plate.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cut the top off the dry food bag and left it for her. She loved it. I think it may be because she can get her nose down into it making the kibble easier to pick up.
Indeed, the strays love to eat from the container I bring the kibble in, and always eat from it rather than their little bowls if they have an opportunity.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My girls could lick the spots off a leopard.

They have little bowls, which makes it easier to get those last smooshed down bits of food than on a plate.
LOL I'll have tor remeber that one.
Both of my cats lick the plate dry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My cats get a dish that is 1/2 and 1/2, one side canned food and one side with dry food. within 15 minutes, their bowls are spotless!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have read that cats like a flatter dish to eat out of because one that is too steep interfers with their whiskers, which are very sensitive. Geets I think would eat out of anything and lick the bowl clean with no bits left. He loves his food.

Kathy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts