Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my kittens is reaching eight months this weekend. A month ago, she changed her diet from Purina wet food regular to gravy to dry food only. I changed flavors all the time to make meals interesting for her. But all the sudden, she just hates to eat can foods. I have another 5 months kitten who likes to eat like there's no tomorrow, and steals dishes. I dont know what to do anymore. I cant change to dry food only when another one needs the nutrients to growup. She meows when i open cans then flatten her ears, lower body and then runs away when i put her in front of the can food. She is my first kitten and things were going so well. Now she refused to eat. And i dont know what to do anymore that she only wants to eat dry food. I worry so much that what if she doesnt want to eat her dry food anymore. Can someone help me to get her eating her food.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like she may have been startled or frightened once when she was eating canned food and now relates the scare to the food.

At this point I would feed the cats separately and give her the dry food she wants for about a week to settle her down. Once she is consistently eating the dry at feeding times you can add a small amount of canned to the dry and see how she reacts. If she accepts the addition give it a few days and then add a bit more canned to dry and so on until you have her back on the canned.

With cats slow and steady is the best route to go. Also don't leave food out all the time have set feeding times, put the food out at those times and for a set period of time(like 20 minutes) and then remove the food. Three times a day for kittens is good.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts