Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautifull orange long haired cat. He keeps on developing scabby rashes on his neck. I have taken him to the vet on numerous occasions and they prescribe anti-biotics. Previously the anti-biotics have worked, but this time they are not working. I am also washing the wound with Habitane anti-biotic cleanser the vet gave, as well I put Polysporin on the wound/scab.

I would like to find out what is causing these outbreaks, and how to prevent them.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'm guessing it's feline acne. You will need to use an antibacterial wash like Hibitane to cleanse it. To prevent it from recurring, you must switch any plastic food/water bowls for either glass or ceramic (stainless steel can hold a charge and accidently shock your cat).

There are several members on here that have dealt with acne before, so hopefully you get more information soon!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cat bowls are plastic ... I will change them to ceramic.

I am also washing the wound with Habitane daily!

Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Your vet would be able to do skin scrapings to examine for mites, abnormal cells, bacteria, etc. If you want to treat the cause, you have to know what it is. Please have your vet do the proper tests!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts