Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anybody have any advice for photographing animals? Everytime I do they're eyes are either red :twisted: or white....I am no camera expert but I got a new digital camera and want to take some decent pics of my 'children' :lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
perhaps try taking during brightlight so you there won't be a flash, or just turn the flash off? maybe that'll take out the red eye?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Turn the flash off and try to take pictures in natural daylight. If it's evening, make sure the room is well lit and keep that flash off. :)

Digital cameras are great because you get instant feedback, and you can experiment all you'd like without wasting film. Also, try to get close up rather than use zoom. Pictures of your kitties come out much better when you get physically closer to them. Zooming in from across the room usually results in granier, lower quality pictures.

I took millions of pictures of my girls so if you have any questions send them my way. :)

g'luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Padunk said:
Also, try to get close up rather than use zoom. Pictures of your kitties come out much better when you get physically closer to them. Zooming in from across the room usually results in granier, lower quality pictures.
I've noticed the opposite, that often they get better if you are farther away and zoom in. At least when the flash is on. Then black doesn't get wierd faded looking and white doesn't get overly bright.

With digital zoom then the quality of the pics does get worse, but not with optical zoom.

:)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I agree, digital zoom is the worst thing to use, lol. It could also depend on the make and model of the camera too.

Since it's digital and you can experiment all you'd like, I say try a whole bunch of things. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Does your camera have a setting for red-eye reduction? When mine is set to red-eye reduction, it flashes once, then flashes again as the shutter snaps. This has helped me some, but once the cats see the first flash they think they're done and leave!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My camera (actually, it belongs to my company, but they let me use it) has a red-eye reduction feature. It only warns Sabby that a bright flash is about to come, so he always closes his eyes. I have much better luck putting him in full sunlight, then taking a picture without a flash. Or taking a flash picture and using photo editing software to remove the red-eye later.

·
Registered
865 Posts
No flash works best. Moby hates the flash and usually closes his eyes.

I take all my pics on the weekend - like Saturday morning when it's nice and bright.

I hate the flash - makes things look so un-natural.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts