Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
more scrounging has produced even more results...

Pig liver and tripe, and chicken guts I can get in bulk very very cheaply. And apparently pig liver is low in fat and the protein content is higher than ox liver.

Now they wont touch their drumsticks ... so would there be enough protein in ox heart for their taurine needs?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The bit of information that every raw feeder would like to get their hands on is the taurine content of food. It seems the only way to come up with that info is by paying for it. From my research there are only a couple of vague sources on the internet. One is http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=910&page=47 and the other bit of info was on a web page no longer in service. But it can be viewed on this site http://web.archive.org/web/200801280605 ... e_chmr.htm . Generally dark meats and hearts will have the highest taurine content. Its hard to say how much heart they should eat. If it were me I might make heart at least 1/4 of the meat portion of the meal. But that may be overkill. Since you are feeding a cocktail of things and they are hunting for other critters there is a good chance that they will be fulfilling their taurine needs. If you don't think so then you might add more heart/dark meat or add a taurine supplement. Hopefully the anti drumstick phase will be over soon.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris do you think one can overdo the liver /tripe etc ... the chicken innards I can get will have all the unlaid eggs too.?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The two vitamins that you have to be careful about is vitamin A and D. An excess amount of both can cause problems. Liver is high in vitamin A and is a good source of D. Kidneys, if you feed them, have a fair amount of vitamin D and has respectable amount of vitamin A. If you try to stay near the 10% organ guideline, with 5% being liver, you should be no where near the maximum amount of those vitamins. I wouldn't worry too much since those max amounts are rather high and imo it would take many meals of just liver before you start seeing problems.

The only other thing I can think of is the eggs. Egg whites contain avidin (a protein) which binds to the nutrient biotin and prevents it from being absorbed. If a large amount of egg whites are consumed it may lead to a deficiency. Egg yolks are fine but if you are feeding the whole egg I would limit it to just one, maybe two, a week.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Carol, I'd be very careful about feeding pork parts in SA. You really need to know what the pigs have been fed in order to be safe with pork ... or at least freeze all pork products for at least 3 weeks before feeding it. Pigs are omnivores, and in many areas are fed garbage and anything else they can get their mouths on. This can cause diseased meat. In the States, pork can not be USDA certified unless the pigs were fed a specific diet, or rather, were NOT fed certain things like garbage.

Laurie

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Laurie ....Our pork is quite safe surprisingly enough :) ...and im not being sarcastic. I can just imagine the millions of people who will strike and cause mayhem if pork made them sick .

Thats what happens here you see ..if spmething upsets the people you strike and cause chaos :roll:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:wink: How good is tripe I wonder ? ox or pork ?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I personally would stick with ox tripe, but I'm more comfortable feeding my cats herbivores rather than omnivores (esp. the stomach/tripe where consumed meat products would be directly deposited). Green tripe (NOT bleached tripe) is an excellent raw meat source because it is packed with beneficial digestive enzymes.

I wish I could find a steady source of green (herbivore) tripe and hearts.

Laurie

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im lucky all these "funny" meats I can get in abundance and cheap .. its because its the staple diet of the African population.

Its working out how much of what to give thats tricky and finding out how much nourishment there is in Chicken Tripe as opposed to pork tripe etc .

I can also get giblets cheaply .. and the gang will love that :)

I cut open a turkey drumstick today to see what it looked like .. I think the turkeys were on Noahs Ark ... I doubt a lion could eat that meat and sinew let alone a cat !!! so im a bit miffed, the dogs like them tho so its not a total waste.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My barn cats love turkey drumsticks, but only if i smash them up with a hammer first. It is actually their favorite meat.

I feed pork but freeze it first for two weeks.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Looks like I'm a bit more laid-back about "the dangers of raw meats". I freeze my foods because otherwise they'd go bad, but some of it, turkey, chicken, liver, pork, beef, kidney, whatever, gets fed raw, too. Nor do I time how long anything's been in the freezer before I thaw and feed it.

In all the research I've done, and all the posts I've read of others who've done more thorough research than mine (including a fair number of vets, for what it's worth) - not one story of a raw meat causing a problem in a cat has yet to crop up. *shrug*

As for the awesome variety of foods you are able to get your hands on, CarolsClan, well, I'm just as jealous as jealous can be! :wink Your kitties must feel like they're in heaven when you lay the table for them. *grin*

·
Registered
18 Posts
chris10 said:
The only other thing I can think of is the eggs. Egg whites contain avidin (a protein) which binds to the nutrient biotin and prevents it from being absorbed. If a large amount of egg whites are consumed it may lead to a deficiency. Egg yolks are fine but if you are feeding the whole egg I would limit it to just one, maybe two, a week.
Hi Chris, about the egg yolks, is that mean we are save to feed them whole egg once a week or just the egg yolks? I am a bit of confusing.

Beside using egg from chicken, can I use other egg from duck, bird, etc?

·
Registered
458 Posts
weew said:
chris10 said:
Hi Chris, about the egg yolks, is that mean we are save to feed them whole egg once a week or just the egg yolks? I am a bit of confusing.

Since carolsclan is feeding a variety of ingredients, some that I would like to get my hands on, the risk of a biotin deficiency imo is small. So feeding one whole egg a week should be no problem. And I even think two a week would be fine. If someone fed a limited ingredient food, we will say just chicken, then it would probably be best to separate the yolks. In the raw world foods that contain biotin are eggs, beef, pork, some fish, and liver (most sources will only list beef liver so not sure about chicken liver). There are two arguments that I have heard. Egg yolks contain more biotin than avidin in the whites. So its not really a problem. And the other is that there are equal amounts and they both cancel each other out.

So I guess to sum it up if you feed a variety of ingredients I wouldn't worry about it too much. But to be on the safe side probably not more than a couple of whole eggs a week. You can feed yolks any time you want. If you feed a limited ingredient diet then you might want to separate the whites and just feed the yolks to make sure they are getting the benefits of the eggs.

I think any eggs are fine

·
Registered
18 Posts
chris10 said:
weew said:
chris10 said:

Since carolsclan is feeding a variety of ingredients, some that I would like to get my hands on, the risk of a biotin deficiency imo is small. So feeding one whole egg a week should be no problem. And I even think two a week would be fine. If someone fed a limited ingredient food, we will say just chicken, then it would probably be best to separate the yolks. In the raw world foods that contain biotin are eggs, beef, pork, some fish, and liver (most sources will only list beef liver so not sure about chicken liver). There are two arguments that I have heard. Egg yolks contain more biotin than avidin in the whites. So its not really a problem. And the other is that there are equal amounts and they both cancel each other out.

So I guess to sum it up if you feed a variety of ingredients I wouldn't worry about it too much. But to be on the safe side probably not more than a couple of whole eggs a week. You can feed yolks any time you want. If you feed a limited ingredient diet then you might want to separate the whites and just feed the yolks to make sure they are getting the benefits of the eggs.

I think any eggs are fine
Thanks Chris, I will go ahead start feeding them whole egg once a week.

I am trying to get more variety beside chicken, lamb, beef, fish, I even found BUFFALO meat! :mrgreen: I feed variety of organ as well. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts