Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my room mate and I are separating and moving into different places. He is moving into a new apartment with his girlfriend who has a cat and he asked me where is the best place to put the cat's litterbox.

I know that it's best to put it somewhere where its not in a high traffic area, but beyond that I didn't know what the best place would be. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best location?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I've got one in the corner of a closet and the other in the corner of the (never used) dining room near the kitchen. The closet box is in my bedroom and is used about 80% of the time... the other box is almost never used.

I hate having a box in my bedroom but the closet seems to be a pretty good spot for it. Some people even put them behind closed doors and cut out a cat door at the bottom.

A lot of people try to keep them out of plain view of company. Some people like them in the bathroom but litter tracks all over and I hate the thought of getting out of a shower and stepping on litter.

It depends on the cat and the couple - and what makes each happy. In general though, somewhere with little to no traffic, quiet and out of the way seems to work best.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
From the cat's point of view: out of traffic area (as mentioned), a certain amount of privacy, but with a clear view to see who's coming, and a way to escape, away from any scary noises, lights or movement, well-ventilated.

I have two in an unused closet and another in an unused bathroom. But I'm lucky to have so much unused room for my cats to use. :)

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
We have a finished basement with its own full bathroom, and I just added a second litterbox for Murphy in the bathtub of that bathroom. If you have a bathtub that no one is using, it's a great spot for a litterbox! It has its own built-in barrier for privacy and security, and the litter is contained to that area. It's a big hit with Murphy so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts