Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread had been created to share some unfortunate news yet again about plagiarized posts.

It appears that many of our threads/posts have been plagiarized and posted on another forum called http://www.tendlife.com/index.html

Member names and dates/times of posts seem to not have been copied, which makes it more difficult to search for your plagiarized posts. However, if you visit the site and notice you have had your words plagiarized, the "contact us" button on that site will take you to the admins e-mail address if you want to give them a piece of your mind.

Thanks, Tim, for bringing this to our attention.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Do you want people to post here when they've found one? Cos the one called "Christmas eve with Cinderella" is almost word for word the same as Marie's

It's 12:12 a.m., officially Christmas. I had a wonderful evening with my sweet little Cinderella. We enjoyed turkey drumsticks (her fave!), a couple of greenies - she had them, not me!, a wild game with her new 5-in-1 laser toy, and tearing of tissue paper - almost more fun than a box! Then, at 12:00 midnight, she was relaxing on the foot of my bed, I knelt down and told her how much she meant to me, how since coming in to my life this past spring, life just seems to have more meaning, how much I like coming home after work, and everything just seems a little better with her. I was just getting all choked up telling her how much I love her when she put her cute little face really close to mine, stood up, turned around so her bum was in my face, and laid back down.
Yup, such a touching, lovely moment, I just had to share it with everyone.
Answer:

marie73 said:
I remember my first Christmas with Cinderella. On Christmas Eve, as soon as the clock hit midnight, she was on the end of my bed, and I knelt down beside her and told her how much I loved her and how much she meant to me. I was actually in tears. She put her nose next to mine, then stood up and put her butt in my face. I was devastated, but I when I posted here about it, I was reassured it was affection. :D

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw that post too. :( To answer your question, You don't have to post everything you find here but if you want to mention members you know who have been plagiarized over there, that's fine, so they can take any action they want.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Actually, this is sort of an indirect compliment to the Cat Forum. If the content here wasn't any good, nobody would be copying it. :roll:

·
Registered
203 Posts
A traceroute suggests that tendlife.com's hosting service is dreamhost.com. You could try contacting that hosting service and complaining.

traceroute to tendlife.com (208.97.172.198), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
10 INTERNAP-NE.car1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net (4.71.140.54) 111.680 ms 110.962 ms 111.524 ms
11 border20.po1-bbnet1.lax.pnap.net (216.52.255.37) 112.146 ms 111.685 ms 112.120 ms
12 newdream-8.border20.lax.pnap.net (216.52.220.146) 111.598 ms 111.645 ms 111.896 ms
13 apache2-kip.taffy.dreamhost.com (208.97.172.198) 112.124 ms 112.552 ms 111.741 ms

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Obviously we (the mods) discussed this before making an announcement, but personally I don't think contacting the webhost will do anything. There isn't a copyright on peoples words.

Something we have to learn and come to grips with is once you put anything on the internet you have lost control over it, may it be words or pictures.

However I think anyone who has been copied should drop this person an email, I'd love to see their reaction when they find they got caught.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
its bizarre how people think this is acceptable behaviour. but not a great deal we can do about it i guess ....

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
Actually, it's word for word from the original post I made - shockingly called "Christmas Eve with Cinderella."

I don't know why this bothers me so much that I am in tears. Just like last time. Maybe it's just the thought of someone else having her in their life and not me. I think the other site copied the same post, too. A lot of my posts were copied.

I'm sure in an hour, this will turn to anger and in a couple days I'll realize how stupid it is to even care. It's the Internet and it's not like it's copyrighted. How pathetic that people can't be original and have their own thoughts and feelings.

Whoa, anger came quicker than I thought! :D

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The amazing thing is, it happened with your posts before. These people are beyond pathetic, and have no life.

Try not to let these dweebs get to you ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I'm kind of over it. Took a break and played with my little ladies. :D

It's just sad that either they don't feel their own cats aren't special enough to write about, or they're just too lazy.

Or maybe they don't even have a cat! 8O

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Zalensia said:
There isn't a copyright on peoples words.
In the US it depends. An automatic copyright is granted IF the words represent an original intellectual expression (ie not copying someone else's words) AND a copyright notice is attached. If there's no copyright notice attached, then the words go into the public domain as soon as they're published. The website that makes the words available to the public is the publisher. In this case, the Cat Forum.

The laws governing ownership of and liability for website content are sketchy at best, but recent court decisions affirm that the author of the content is the owner and as owner is also liable. I think if we're the owner of our own words, and if we're liable for them, we should also have the priveleges of copyright protection. But in the US, the only way to do that is to put ©2008 by coaster on each and every one of my posts. Well, actually I'd have to use my given name, but you get the idea. It's a big hassle and looks pretty strange.

So when a website rips off our posts, unless the copyright law is changed, we've really got no recourse except to ask the buggers nicely if they would please not do that any more. :roll:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I had a thought...Maybe it's dumb, maybe it's not...

Dave_L posted this:
Dave_L said:
traceroute suggests that tendlife.com's hosting service is dreamhost.com. You could try contacting that hosting service and complaining.

traceroute to tendlife.com (208.97.172.198), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
10 INTERNAP-NE.car1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net (4.71.140.54) 111.680 ms 110.962 ms 111.524 ms
11 border20.po1-bbnet1.lax.pnap.net (216.52.255.37) 112.146 ms 111.685 ms 112.120 ms
12 newdream-8.border20.lax.pnap.net (216.52.220.146) 111.598 ms 111.645 ms 111.896 ms
13 apache2-kip.taffy.dreamhost.com (208.97.172.198) 112.124 ms 112.552 ms 111.741 ms
What if the two forums (this one and that one) have the same hosting service? If the posts copied are the SAME as the ones posted here, could it be possible that there is a glitch in the hosting system that is posting some of our threads from here to there? Just a thought...

But it's probably some idiot with too much time on their hands! :roll:

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
No, it's not possible. Given that the plagiarized posts were edited and reposted. ;)

But you have a point about shared hosting. I was examining my access logs one day and found bits and pieces of someone else's emails in there instead. Tech support couldn't explain it. I'm going to find another hosting service.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I'm going to add a 'copyright' line to my sig. These people who have too much time and not enough creativity really urinate me off. :evil:
Sheesh :roll:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
So far I haven't recognized any of my threads/posts to be in there (so maybe I'm not interesting enough :lol: ) However, I couldn't help but notice that on the ones I've read so far they didn't even bother to come up with a different name for a forum member, pretty much giving it away. Losers! :roll:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
coaster said:
No, it's not possible. Given that the plagiarized posts were edited and reposted. ;)

But you have a point about shared hosting. I was examining my access logs one day and found bits and pieces of someone else's emails in there instead. Tech support couldn't explain it. I'm going to find another hosting service.
That's really, really scary. How the @#!#!! does that happen? What did they tell you--did they brush it off, or offer a solution? What if there was private info swapped!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts