Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still out of work and I'll have to decide what to do here pretty soon. My best option is to move back to where my family is ..in NJ. That's a 3600+ mile drive from where I am. What's the best way to travel with Mow?

Train? I called and they don't allow pets. I was HOPING we could book a family room (my mom will fly out here and travel back with me, whatever avenue we decide on) on the train and we could just hole up in there for 3 days until we arrived but .... no go.

Plane? It's a 5+ hour flight and two hours of car travel. HOw on earth is he going to handle being in a carrier for 7 hours? I would NEVER stick him in the cargo hold but how do I keep him from driving the entire plane mental with his yowling? Do they even ALLOW cats on a plane? I've never seen one.

Car? My car would need a major overhaul for such a long trip. I could get a barrier and he could have the entire back of the SUV to himself during the drive (He'd still scream up a storm) or I could buy a large dog crate and he could hang in that (and yowl) and be safer. He's travelled up to two hours in the car before and quiets down in his carrier, but we're talking 4 or 5 days (we'd stop every night at a hotel and he could stretch his legs and use the box).

Anyone take any LONG trips with their cat? How did you handle it?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have never taken a long trip with a cat but I did see a woman after a flight with a cat once. She was outside of the rental car place that the Vegas airport takes you to directly after your flight and she had a cat in a carrier. I asked her how her cat handled the flight. She said the vet gave her a tranquilizer to use to make her kitty sleep the whole flight, she said it worked just fine and the cat was just waking up then. You could ask your vet if he could give MowMow something to make him rest his tired kitty eyes for the flight.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I looked into airline travel with a pet a while ago, on behalf of my daughter, who needs to take her cat back to the U.K. with her in January. Only certain airlines allow cats in the cabin. Others have a special "pet hold", which is not in the cabin, but it's not in the cargo hold either. The airlines' website should have a section on "pet policy" that you can check out. If you decide to travel via air with a cat, then you're best to book early, since the airlines will only allow a small number of animals in the cabin (or in the special pet hold), so if you leave your booking too late, you might find all of the "pet spaces" taken. I agree with Becky, if you think your cat will be too stressed for air travel, you can ask your vet for a tranquilizer or similar. My vet has given my daughter something called "Bio-Calm" for her cat's trip back to the U.K.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have traveled with my cat a couple times for a 15 hour car ride when I moved from the midwest to the south. Luckily my cats handled it like champs, and didnt whine too much. We did stop half way in a hotel , but the cat just hid in the carrier the whole time. Cat never ate or used the box.

i have to bring cat with me on trip back up north for xmas since he just had surgery. I am going back up north for two weeks. Vet gave me some xanax. It doesnt sedate them, but gets rid of some of the anxiety. This will work well for my cat, he will sit in the carrier for the ride, probably wont get out and wont care about trying to use the box. We are planning on driving straight through. Will be a long ride, but he has done it before. Hes a resilent cat, thats for sure.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts