Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the future i plan to get a furry friend. Im researching what cats like and stuff.

I got a question
Do cats like to life in packs ? or are indepent creatures ? is best to buy two cats if you have room.

Can a single cat be just just as happy with a human friend than with cat frineds ?

is it best to get a cat from RSCPA ? or from a petstore ?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Cats will do well alone or in groups. Many people find having two cats is better because they can play with each other. Personally, my cat would hate having a second cat around, but he might have liked it if I'd also gotten one of his siblings to keep with him.

Please never buy your pets from a petstore. Many petstores get their animals from puppy or kitten mills and are in it only for the money. The animals at these mills live miserable lives. The less money we give to them, the better. You can get great pets from your local shelter or a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Shelter cats are much cheaper in many ways. Pet store kittens are usually overpriced, AND usually aren't purebreed (that's what breeders are for).

SPCA cats are cheaper to buy outright - AND that includes shots and spaying/neutering. Pet store cats don't. That can run you a pretty penny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i really like rescue groups. I got both mine from one here and the people that i talked with actually knew the cats by name and their temperments. That made it very easy to pick a cat that fit me and we have all be pretty happy since.

Although there are adoption fees involved they should be up to date with their shots and if they are old enough been fixed so its a pretty good deal.

My mother adopted 2 super baby kittens(their mom got killed/left them) and in shots and getting them fixed it was well over what I paid to adopt mine and all that stuff was already done.

I also recommend when you get a cat soon after take them to a vet that you want to start a relationship with. Its a lot easier to deal with a vet if they know you beforehand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

just to reassure you i well not get a petstore cat also in all the petstores ive been in not one sells cats or dogs they only sell supplys.

I would properly by looking in the free-ads. Which type of breeder would it be best to get one from ? one who gives the cat free to good loving homes or those who sells cat ?

I think RSCPA cats and other pets are mostly abused pets so RSCPA looks for ppl with experiacne whose handled that kinda pet.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It seems to me that most "free to a good home" pets are "whoopsie!" pets. That is, they didn't spay their female in time and she got out (or a tom got in) and got impregnated. Sabby was a whoopsie. His mother was a show-quality traditional siamese.

It's recommended that everyone charge at least $15-20 (US) for kittens in order to discourage people from taking them and using them to blood a dog. I've seen some real horror stories about people doing that.

If you're looking for a purebred cat, you're looking at spending a lot of money for a kitten.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ask around your neighbourhood there is bound to be someone whose cat has just had kittens and quite often they will be willing to give one away.

Cat's are very independant, dogs have owners cats have staff. All they ask from you is food, a warm place to sleep and a few strokes occassionaly.

If you live in a house then make sure that your cat can get access to the outside he/she will use the soil outside for toilet purposes. The cat will make friends with some neighbour cats but not with others. If you live in an appartment make sure that your cat has a clean litter tray.

Cats like toys a ball of wool or even a dangling piece of string will give a cat endless pleasure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im

im not after a pure breed. Just a kitten which i find cute. Im goin to have an outside cat so ill make sure the cat has all the shots etc. At first i was worried about the cat getting tun over by a car but when i think bout it i have only seen one or 2 dead cats by side of road. My friends cats are all outside cats and they never had a cat get knocked down.

I didn't even know you could keep cats indoor pretty much 24/7 tell i came to this forum.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My first cat, Whiskers, was shot and killed by my neighbor. It only took one experience like that to convince me that all my future cats should be indoor kitties. It's not exactly uncommon for cats to be stolen. In fact, Akron, OH has a law against outside cats. All cats found outside without a leash are taken to the pound and immediately euthanised regardless of whether or not it has an owner. I strongly recommend that you keep your cat indoors at all times and invest in a litter box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts