Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started growing "cat herbs" from seed a few days ago. They seem to do better when I leave them outside, but I forgot to bring them in during a heavy rainstorm a couple of days ago. I noticed that one of them has that white "fuzzy/spiderweb" growth just beginning to form on the surface of soil on one that received too much rain. The others were shielded and have no problems.

If I were to bring this plant inside, and let it dry out, would that fungus die on its own, or is it going to continue to thrive within the deeper parts of the soil? Is there something I can apply to the soil which would rid the plant (grass/herbs) of the fungus without harming the grass or the kitties when they munch it? Would baking soda sprinkled on the top absord the extra moisture, or would that just harm the plant? Should I take a blowdryer (on low setting - no heat) to try dry just the surface?

If I need to toss it, and start over - no big loss. It was just doing so nicely before this - almost ready to munch - that I would hate to give up on it without trying something.

Shengmei: you seem to know a great deal about plants. Any suggestions?
I welcome advice from all members! Thanks! :D

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Well, there is a product called rootone that is a combination of root growth hormone and fungicide. You should give it a try :D

Baking powder is alkaline. The more alkaline the soil is, the less iron is bioavailable to the plants. I don't think baking soda is a good idea.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shengmei!

I don't have rootone on hand, but have used it in the past when reproducing plants from cuttings. I wasn't aware that it would help control fungus, too.

Anything else I could try that a general household would have on hand? Would drying out the soil by using a blowdryer on "no heat" help? Probably already deeper into the soil than it appears, though...do you agree?

Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: Tim :lol:
I wonder if that would work for my teens? If I ignore them, will they go away? :wink: Just kidding! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts