Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I discovered just how awesome play therapy really is!

Backstory: I took Minnie in as a pregnant stray, she has always been a bit temperamental, moody, and just overall seems very stressed out. She was most definately used to being around people and experienced being inside a home, however she was very skinny so I assume she was either dumped nearby or just neglected/not fed by her owners. Either way, she just seems to have a lot of "emotional baggage" (if that makes sense)

Minnie had never really been playful up until a few weeks ago. She was always preoccupied with her kittens, and never really showed much interest in playing. Whenever I would try to play with her the kittens kind of take over the toys and she would just sit back and watch.

Well since 3 out of her 4 kittens have gone to their new homes, she has been showing more signs of bound-up energy(biting/attacking my legs, etc.) So last night, I locked the 4th kitten out of my bedroom, so it was just me and Minnie. I brought out the feather toy and had a little play session. She loved it! She got the big saucer-eyes, flickering tail, etc. After she was worn out, she laid on the floor and rolled over on her back, which is not something I have really seen her do before(except when she went into heat lol) She just had a "calm" about her that I hadn't really seen before. She also was more affectionate after that. I think I have found the solution to her frustrations. So simple, yet not something I had really thought about previously. Hopefully this will help with her over-all well being and maybe curb her aggressions towards Banjo(my resident teddy-bear cat) :)

Here is what I am talking about, specifically:

Play Therapy | Little Big Cat

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I just got thru writing a long email to a friend of mine and it was about play therapy for her cats. Your example was perfect. I copied it and sent a second email to her to reaffirm how important playing with your cats is! How it transformed your mother kitty.

You are the perfect fosterer, Shan. Great job. The emotional socializing aspect part of fostering is so important. I enjoy reading about your fostering. Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks Mitts & Tess! I'm really happy to share my stories, I hope it can help your friend in someway!

I'm really grateful to have Minnie, she has really tought me a lot and I can't wait to have another play session tonight. I think she will continue to improve as I make it into a routine :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Great explanation on how to work with DaBird, thank you for sharing!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts