Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeling under the weather today so I stayed in bed with a heating pad and when I felt hungry I came out to see what hubby and the kids did. Well they were playing fetch!

The cats came with their toy mouse and put it on the couch and hubby threw it for them, either into another room or into the same room. They would then run after it, paw it a bit and then take it in the mouth and leave it on the couch again.

I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. Then they came to me and left the mouse beside me, so I threw it also and they did the same thing. And came and left it with me.

I wonder how they picked that up, we never tried to play fetch with them, more than that we sometimes find their mouse (that has a little rattle in it) and shake it and then throw it for them to chase. Now they figured out, on their own to come with it so we can throw it for them.

I'm still smiling and I feel a lot less under the weather just knowing how fun these kids are. :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sorry to hear you are feeling sick today.....*hugs*. That is so cute, your cats playing fetch :D I always wanted a cat that could play fetch, but I have not been so lucky as you :roll: I have tried and tried with Gaylord, I even started with him when he was a kitten, but nope. He just sits there and looks at me like, yeah right, mom! How about I throw it and YOU go get it for ME? :lol:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
:D My college roommate had a cat who would play fetch for hours. He particularly liked the plastic rings from the top of milk jugs, so we kept finding them in the strangest places! :lol: Assumpta just figures that if I throw something away, then I must not want it...never crosses her mind to bring it back. Hope you feel better quickly!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Clover did that when she was a kitten!! It took me and my mom a long time to figure out what she wanted when she brought us the little balls... I usually praised her for it... but what she wanted was for us to throw them!! When we finally figured it out, she ran to get it and brought it back! So she taught us to play fetch with her. But she doesn't do it any more :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
One of my friends cats plays fetch.

You will be sitting there and she brings over her crinkle ball and she wants you to throw it for her, then she gets it and comes back for more.

It is cute :p

·
Registered
366 Posts
Norville was a huge fetch player. He loved those blue milk rings, although after bringing the ring back to me a few times, he'd return it further and further away...until I was throwing AND returning it myself.

Pfeffa only rarely plays fetch - similar routine as Norville had, only it ends much quicker.

Hobochangba doesn't seem to get the concept at all :roll:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool to hear more kitties likes to play fetch. I was just so amazed they got the idea themselves. I wonder if I can find some other things for them to do, I'm sure they are dying to learn stuff.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Sorry you're feeling sick -- it's a good thing you have two little kitties, the ultimate medicine for any ailment. :) Jack fetches too -- I didn't try to teach him either. He just wanted to. He started doing it a couple days after we brought him and Mia home.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hope your feeling better now! Dylan plays fetch too! It's the cutest thing ever! My sister things he is confused and believes he is a dog :p

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm feeling better now. Thank you! :)

Today the rascals have been a real pain in the rear. Not only were we playing fetch, but they also figured out how fun it was to paw the mouse under the couch. They can't reach there themselves so I have to use a contraption I've made to get the mouse out under the couch. They seem to gloat each time I crawl down and get the mouse. :D

Now they are so cute, sleeping after all that mouse hunt (and annoy "mommy" play), totally innocent. Arrrgh!

I need to come up with some other contraptions to keep them from pushing that mouse under the couch. When the kids came here Suzy was small enough to crawl under, but now they are both too big. Suzy sometimes lay on the side to get her paw reach longer, but it doens't help much since she seem to push the mouse even further in instead.

Oh, and I need to figure out how to block a corner book case they seem to love to crawl behind. They can't get up unless I move it, they don't get enough space to jump back up again. Arrrgh! Kids!! :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
pushing things under the bed is one of kiera's favorite pasttimes!

Her favorite things to stuff under there are pens. You know how you never have a pen when you need one? Well Kiera keeps stealing mine, knocking them off the table, and bats them under the couch. I have to use the fishing-pole toy to scoop them out.

She also managed to get a few balls underneath the stove! That was yucky

But to stay on topic... no fetch from Kiera. Oh well!

-Heather :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thomas loves to play fetch. He loves the rabbit fur mice with the rattle in them. Like your two he brings them to me to throw. This has advanced to the point where I wake up almost every morning laying on a mouse or two. Thomas brings them to me while I sleep...I'm sure he's annoyed when all I do is roll over on them.

He brings them to me wherever I am. He especially likes when he drops them in the shower with me and I toss them out over the top of the curtain. :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
My handicapped cat will play fetch with his little sparkly ball. He really likes the small ones with not to much long ends on them. Usually when I go down to my office in the morning we have to play fetch for about an hour, then he gets tired, lays down and sleeps in the room with me then finally will go into the bedroom and lay on the bed. I had only seen one other cat play fetch before, my friends, and couldn't believe it until I saw it for myself. A lot of times he will just carry the ball around in his mouth for awhile, meowing the whole time (can't quite figure out what he wants then, maybe just attention). They are cute when they do things like that. :D

·
Banned
88 Posts
My cat Milo played fetch.He died 2 years ago from antifreeze poisoning :cry: .He used to love it.I'd throw his favorate toy and he would go running after it and bring it right to you.At one point we got him well trained enough he would put it in your hand.It was really cute.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've almost got Sam to put the mouse in my hand now, I hold it out and he drops it BY my hand, not IN it .... but it's all new yet, so I'm sure he'll get the hang of it. Suzy drops the mouse by my feet and looks up at me as she was saying "oh come on, one more time, pleaaaaaaaaaase!!". :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
haha.

of my two cats, it's ironic that it's the fatty lazy one that likes to play catch -- it's the only way we can get him to run around for a bit! he'll only do it with my hair bands now, but he loves it. tyra's not much for fetch, she'll just run after whatever i've thrown and then leave it there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of our cats, Kylah, LOVES to play fetch. She has this funky toy (which we call the super fun toy) that she will get in her mouth and start to meow in this funny, crying voice. That's when we know she has the super fun toy. But she will play fetch mostly when we are in bed at night. She hops up there and drops it on the bed and will play fetch for like 5-10 minutes until she gets bored. It's very unique for sure to see cats play fetch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty -- I know how hard it is, I lost my favorite boy about 8 months ago. :cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts