Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well when we got Cherry, the only bugs in my room(a room practically filled with windows) were flies and ladybugs. After licking a ladybug she didn't touch them but chased the flies. Now that it's getting warmer there are hornets in my room and Cherry has decided to chase them. I've killed a few before she's gotten them but I just killed one and then she started chasing another(and I have no idea where it went). Should I let her get stung or keep killing them?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we have an open beamed house with a wicked high roof and so far I've found a nest on the tip top of the roof, some in the fire alarms, outside my window, in the wood outside, in our deck, and in the windows. Sadly I can't really reach any of the nests. The nests we sprayed last year are still up and I probably should have knocked them down this winter.

That's what I was afraid of. I don't want her to get stung while I'm not home and have her actually have an allergy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure about this, but your vet may have something similar to a human allergy scratch test. They may have something like wasp venom and will give the cat a very small dose to check for that allergy. I'm not even sure if a vet would do that, but if you're worried about allergies then it may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hornets and yellowjackets...we have a lot of them. They love making nests behind the shutters. My cats have been stung just walking in the grass when they've stepped on one. I try to kill as many as possible by non-toxic means - pressure-washing their nests away and squishing the ones that are crawling on the deck.

I would maybe give your kitty some adversity training when she goes after one to spare her the pain of being stung. Like a sharp "No!"

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well yesterday was a mad dash to keep her from getting the live one and the two dead bodies(I've been stung by dead hornets before too). All it did was make her fear me coming over to the shoe that the hornet was under and having her bolt under the bed only to do the same thing.

I'll see if our vet does that next time we go(which should be sometime next month).

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine is catching wasps and bees and she even tries with bumble bees. Cats chase anything small that moves; he might just get a nasty sting and learn his lesson but he might also develop an allergic and potentially deadly reaction to the sting.

·
Banned
948 Posts
Well we have an open beamed house with a wicked high roof and so far I've found a nest on the tip top of the roof, some in the fire alarms, outside my window, in the wood outside, in our deck, and in the windows. Sadly I can't really reach any of the nests. The nests we sprayed last year are still up and I probably should have knocked them down this winter.

That's what I was afraid of. I don't want her to get stung while I'm not home and have her actually have an allergy.
Good Lord!!! I think I'd just move!!

*cough* Sorry, I know that wasn't helpful.... I'm deadly afraid of bees, hornets, wasps and the like (very bad experience as a child... I'm suddering even as I type this) and that was my sole reaction to reading your post.

Anyone know what the actual incidence of allergic kitties is?

AC

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm deathly afraid too. In the summer I'll only go outside if all the clover has been mowed over. And we've got giant bumblebees(which really hurt when they fly into you).

Grrr...stupid hornets should give me a break, it just snowed a foot and they're still flying around!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts