Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has been acting strangely since this morning. He keeps walking around in slow motion, sniffing everything. He has been getting freaked out by things left lying around the house that have always been there. He is acting like he is seeing hallucinations. He is an 1 year old indoor Scottish Fold and nothing different has happened since last night, when he was completely normal! He can not sleep very well. Every time he closes his eyes he acts like he hears something and opens his eyes immediately. I watched the videos about "hyperesthesia". He does not look like he has it. We tested his vision and he sees quite well. Any other ideas? I have seen a few people wrote about this exact same behaviour at the forums but none of them got the answer. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
If it's still going on tomorrow, I'd take him to a vet. He could have had a seizure or something. It doesn't really sound like redirected aggression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's still going on tomorrow, I'd take him to a vet. He could have had a seizure or something. It doesn't really sound like redirected aggression.
Thank you; we suspect he's afraid of something. We are trying to calm him down.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Is there something going on where you live......e.g. construction outside or nearby---with a lot of noise of machinery, banging--- someone getting new roof tiles? Often noise that we tune out or can't hear as well as a cat's senstive ears can cause an upset. You can try playing some music and see if that calms him. If you can't pinpoint any noise, then a visit to the vet should be made.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
He could be afraid of something funny smelling - something you are not even aware of. We had a cat who got spooked when my hubs had a bike accident and there was blood and that oozy stuff from scraped skin.

I hope things will settle down for him soon, it must be very upsetting to both of you, cat and human.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We realized that he was afraid while playing with the children. Somewhat healed. But he is still afraid of everything. He makes slow movements. He continues to sniff. He plays but not as much as before. We are very upset for him. Everyone at home is very calm towards him. But he seems to have lost confidence. What do you think we should do to reduce his fears, to gain self-confidence, to calm down and to return again? Stay safe and stay healthy to everyone!

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
I think patience is the answer. My Cleo was mistreated as a kitten (swung around by her feet and legs by a child) and 13 years later does not like her feet and legs being touched and hates being picked up. But I love her unconditionally. She's not a lap cat and will never be one. She seeks affection on her own terms and for years couldn't fall asleep without her paw on my shoulder.

Give him time, let him come to you. Cats can sense your emotions, relax and accept every little bit of progress. Since it may have been one incident that brought this on, he may be fine in time. He's adorable. What's his name?

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
Perfect name.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts