Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, we had a troll here today, lots of rude spam posted.

Please don't respond to these types of posts. These people feed off of the attention. It also makes it more difficult for the Mods to clean up when the spam is in existing threads and members start responding. It's just that many more posts that need to be deleted.

The troll has been banned and hopefully won't be back again, but if you do see these types of posts, please just PM a Mod (or even a few of us, in case someone isn't available).

Thanks...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Do you have any idea how hard it was for me not to post the lyrics to "spam spam spam" on that 'thread'? I'm really proud of myself that I resisted (huge Monty Python fan here!).
But I knew a mod would come along and clean up that mess, thanks for keeping on top of things!

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
No fun at all, Tim. It's really, really hard not to respond. Especially hard not to PM a nasty message. I'm going to have a twitch for the rest of the night.

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
Oh, man! I missed your response, Hugh!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I missed it all darn it!!!! :(

Edited to add applause- One of the old catforums I use to go to it took them about 2 weeks to get spam posts off and they were really really nasty bad pictures :evil: So thanks for you guys being on top of it so that so we dont have to see that kind of stuff!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
i was so happy after you got them off. i started reading the post at the bottom and was working my way up and next thing i know it was a bunch of junk post. than my comp froze so i couldnt even move to another section it was allfull

sorry i cant get my spell checker working dumb comp.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
OK, I missed it too. What are trolls? People being rude and saying bad things to get responses? I have never experienced it. I guess I am better off.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
"doesn't understand why people just can't get along. While it is entirely unintentional, Bliss Ninny's utterly vacuous comments can drive the more pugnacious Warriors into a frenzy of aggression. Often in the heat of battle Bliss Ninny will discuss her cat."

Sounds like 90% of this forum :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used to be a big Usenet fan until the trolls came in and ruined it.
People got into flames which lasted years believe it or not.
Take the advice. Never, ever, ever rise to the bait and let the Mods sweep them into the bin where they belong.

Mick.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
some of the usenet flame wars were hilarious. Looking back I wish I had printed some of them out. a Flaming 101 of sorts. I can remember busting out laughing for hours, that doesn't happen too often anymore.

·
Registered
243 Posts
catnip said:
some of the usenet flame wars were hilarious. Looking back I wish I had printed some of them out. a Flaming 101 of sorts. I can remember busting out laughing for hours, that doesn't happen too often anymore.
It's funny until things get serious.

People making threats of actual physical violence.
Telephoning posters at home and using abusive language.
Telephoning work places and/or universities where posters work and complaining to heads of staff.

It's not funny at all when things get to that stage.

Mick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts