Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i wonder if someone could give me some advice i have a 3 1/2 yr old cats milo who has started to poo where my legs go under my computer desk,i resently had to rehome my kitten due to him having several problems,and sadly had to have my other cat pts due to cancer:((,well in the last week my one and only cat has started this behaviour,im trying so hard to think why he should start this he seems all well aprt from this,is it because his on his own now being the only cat?i moved his litter box downstairs last night to see if this was the problem forgetting where it was even tho its been in the same place always since he was a baby,i have never had any problems with him at all,his getting so much attention its unbelivable please some help me as i have 4 kids and them waking up to pooh isnt very healthy for them also i have 3 young dogs who he is used to so why oh why??? he has seen th vet to who has know idea why this is happening im getting rather stressed waking t this each day.he wees in the litter box but nothing else the box is cleaned each day so please please help sorry to go on.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thumper:

Make sure you have at least one box on each floor of your home for this cat, in a easily excessable and quiet spot where he wont be disturbed.
There's a very good chance he is up set at the change in your household lately (being the only cat).
Try moving a litter box right where he has been pooing.

Secondly if your vet says he has no idea what's going on, and has no further suggestions for you, please find another vet! There are many things you can try in these cirucumstances, standard things that every vet should know.
This is for the sake of everyone in your home, find a competant vet!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
This statement is from The Westosha Veterinary Hospital:

There are several reasons cats stop using the litter box.

1. Medical Conditions
2. Environmental
3. Behavioral

Medical reasons that cats urinate and defecate outside the litter box include, urinary tract infections, bladder stones, feline lower urinary tract disease, constipation or diarrhea.

Environmental reasons include a change in the litter (i.e. from clay litter to scoopable litter), a change in the location or type of litter box, and the addition/absence of a pet or person in the home.

Behavioral reasons could be territorial. Is you cat intact or has a new cat come into the home or yard?

If you cat is experiencing difficulty with urination, urinating/defecating outside of the litter box, blood in urine, or frequent urination, if so please call your veterinarian.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he isnt ill as ive been to vets already and seems all well apart from pooing out of litter tray,his pal he was with from a kitten was pts 5 weeks ago but the behaviour only started a week ago,he is as i said the only cat in the house now,he dont go out as he never has wanted to,he was neutured when he was 5 mths old,mind you today is showed great intrest in wanting to get out of the house so he isnt happy do you think its because he is missing other cat company?

·
Registered
676 Posts
thumper: You have your explination with the information Jeanie and myself have listed above. Because a cat starts to have an improper elimination habit is not a reason to make them an outdoors cat.

He hasn't recently been declawed has he?

Try the suggestions we have offered you, if you need more help just ask, there is more to tell.

Did your vet run any tests on your cat when he was recently seen? If he can find nothing phsyically wrong, you need to speak with your vet, or another... better vet, and address the possible issue of behavoir modification.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i didnt say i was going to put him outside,he is wanting to go outside after 3 1/2 yrs of not going out,he didnt have an accident last night he used his litter tray to do his business, so was very pleased and made a great fuss of him,i would never have him declawed,he had recently been put on medication for his skin as he suffers with dry skin ,so i think that i might have made him loose control has it says on the box that they might suffer with loose poos,anyway thanks for all your advice adn hopefully things are getting back to how they were,many thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Loki used to poo on the floor right in front of the door if I was gone for long hours at school. It went on for weeks, and I tried moving the litter box, changing the litter. I took her to the vet after about a month of it. She had a fever, but it wasn't caused by anything specific. She was on antibiotics for a month, and it stopped. She didn't do it for a long time, then did it once when I was gone all day - and not since then. So, umm, I don't know but maybe it will eventually blow over. It may repeat itself - so try to figure out the triggers. I had my brother come over to stay with her if I was to be gone for more than a day. Then I got it to where she is fine with two days alone - she watches me clean her litter, and fill her bowls with enough food and water and she seems okay with me leaving. And she welcomes me home warmly as well. If it continues for more than two weeks, or worsens - then I would take her back to the vet. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well just to update you all milo is all ok hasnt messed anywhere apart from his litter tray,so hopefully he is ok now may thanks for all your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts