Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive what may be a very naive question. I adopted a Maine Coon mix about five months ago and this morning she vomitted for the first time. My apologies for being graphic, but it seemed to be comprised of undigested food and a very small bit of hair. I brush her constantly since she's shedding quite a lot, but could this have been just a hairball? Her behavior before and afterward was completely normal. In fact, soon after she got sick, she ate a bit and kept it down. Is vomitting always a sign of illness? Is a trip to the vet necessary? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If it had a good amount of hair in it then could be a hairball - Maine coons are notorious for them and regular grooming helps.

Keep and eye on her - if she vomits again or has diarrhoea then I'd say contact that vet as she can become dehydrated.

Hayley x x

·
Registered
282 Posts
It sounds like you met your first hairball. Because cats groom themselves, they sometimes ingest hair. Too much hair and they can vomit. Try brushing your cat more often to help remove the excess hair. Good luck with you baby!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This is one of the joys of Maine Coons. :wink: Extra grooming helps (especially over the hips and breeches if she is overweight). Assumpta is very touchy about her belly, so I use a love-glove on her belly when she'll let me (seldom), a slicker brush on her topside, and usually a flea comb as well on her hips and at the base of her tail. Both my old purebred MC and my current MC-type-mix are very prone to hairballs. Someone punished Assumpta harshly for throwing up, and it took me forever to calm her fear that I would, too...she'd literally shake like a leaf, cringe, growl, and roll over on her back in the last-ditch defensive position. I'd love to get my hands on the person who did that to her. :evil:

Vaseline or laxatone by mouth can be helpful in keeping the digestive tract clear of hairballs.

If this is an isolated incidence, and you have seen the hairball, unless she shows other symptoms, you can probably just keep an eye on the situation. Also, sometimes Assumpta will eat too fast and just regurgitate everything (she used to throw up in her bowl while she was eating and then meow at me because her food had throw-up all over it :roll: ), so if your cat bolts her food, that may also contribute to an SVI ("sudden vomit incident"). If at any point she starts showing any other symptoms (lethargy, loss of appetite, straining at the litterbox), a call to the vet is in order, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Though, not Maine Coons.. my kitties have vomited from time to time....however I watched them diligently and they showed no signs of sickness.... I think if it is happening more than one time in one day I would be real careful. And if they don't eat...get them to the doc!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts