Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year old cat had a broken tooth extracted on Monday and has been on Clindamycin Hydrochloride Drops (25 mg, 2x's a day) Her tooth was not infected and the antibiotics are to keep it from getting infected until the gums grow over the area. I have two bottles of antibiotics and we are only half way through the first bottle and supposed to give them to her until they are gone. Vet said it would take about 10 days to grow over.

She has had massive diarrhea 5 times since yesterday and threw up a huge pile of liquid this morning. I'm concerned about her getting dehydrated but her nose is still wet and I pulled the skin by her scruff and it goes right back. She is a tiny thing though and a little over 6lbs.

I googled for helping cats with diareaha and got her some nonfat yogurt with cultures but she doesn't it like it, even mixed with some wet food.

I'm not sure what to do. Should I just call the vet? Can they give different antibiotics? Discontinue the antibiotics? Let them run their course as long as it's not dehydrating her?

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
Call the vet, they can probably prescribe something else to try. Make sure she's got food in her when you give her the meds (or plan on feeding her right after). And I'd use a probiotic or acidophilus supplement rather than yogurt. I've never had any luck with yogurt.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Call the vet and let them know what is going on. Until you can get in touch with them don't give any more antibiotics. Poor thing, I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Call your vet. Your vet can either reduce the clindamycin dose or switch to another antibiotic altogether. Do not give yogurt. Many cats are lactose intolerant, and yogurt can make diarrhea and digestive upset worse in those cats. Sprinkling a little acidophilus into your cat's food may help restore good gut bacteria and resolve digestive problems.

Laurie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I called the vet and they are having me discontinue the antibiotics and will prescribe another as soon as her digestive system settles down.

She wasn't eating the yogurt anyway but I'll stop trying to get her to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts