Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
We rescued Prim when she was about 8 months old. She had the entire house to herself for a whole year until we rescued a stray a few months ago. Unfortunately, Prim is urinating on our beds, blankets, and my gym bag! It's definitely behavioral and territorial, but DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
The first thing she needs to be tested for is a urinary tract infection. Cats associate the pain of peeing with the litter box so they will pee on soft things, exactly as you described. Stress could have a lot to do with it, too.

Does she get along with the stray you rescued?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing she needs to be tested for is a urinary tract infection. Cats associate the pain of peeing with the litter box so they will pee on soft things, exactly as you described. Stress could have a lot to do with it, too.

Does she get along with the stray you rescued?
She growls a lot at him and they get into fights. I feel like I ruined her life by taking in this stray. No one we know is able to take him..

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
I know 100% how you feel. I took in a cat that hated my little twins and all of our lives were miserable until I found a new home for the new girl. My biggest regret was trying for 1-1/2 years to make it work. Have you contacted any rescue groups? It's great that you took the little guy in, but it sounds like you have an unhappy household right now, because I know how heartbreaking it can be when the little furry kids aren't happy.

Did you try to do a slow introduction? It's really not too late to start over. Who initiates the fights?

Jackson Galaxy has tons of info about cat issues.

There are members here who will have better advice than mine. I must say though, and some people don't believe in this step, kitty prozac from your vet really can help. It's not a long term medication, but it can help.

Reactions: Soulbuilder1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know 100% how you feel. I took in a cat that hated my little twins and all of our lives were miserable until I found a new home for the new girl. My biggest regret was trying for 1-1/2 years to make it work. Have you contacted any rescue groups? It's great that you took the little guy in, but it sounds like you have an unhappy household right now, because I know how heartbreaking it can be when the little furry kids aren't happy.

Did you try to do a slow introduction? It's really not too late to start over. Who initiates the fights?

Jackson Galaxy has tons of info about cat issues.

There are members here who will have better advice than mine. I must say though, and some people don't believe in this step, kitty prozac from your vet really can help. It's not a long term medication, but it can help.
Thank you!😀

·
Registered
981 Posts
Best of luck to you.
I recommend finding a new home for the stray. Like Marie, above, I took in a cat that my cat ended up hating, and my cat started peeing everywhere. I made the huge mistake of trying to make it work for three whole years and after I finally rehomed the other cat it took me almost 3 years to get my cat 100% reliable to using the litter box again! I will never make that mistake again. If the slow-and-careful introduction doesn't change things, then don't keep trying for too long to make it work.
I just put an ad on Craig's List, and then carefully screened and had long conversations with the people who replied before I let one of them come to meet him. Found a good home pretty easily that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts