Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a rural area with many creatures. I allow my cat to go outside in the afternoon hours and he does well not leaving my fenced yard (5acres) but today being the fifth day in a row he has brought in a live chipmunk to play with in the house.. Well today was time five and six.

Is there a natural way for me to repel these critters from my yard. I would hate to lock up the cat all day(he goes outside via dogdoor for his best buddy my black lab), he was fully outdoor before I rescued him and gets depressed when locked in an area but I'm afraid to have these wild animals running loose in my house daily.

I have recently got his rabies booster out of worry and also put a break away collar with a bell on him in hopes to alert others he is near but this isnt helping at the moment. I'm not fully sure what to do, any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome to Cat Forum.
Unfortunately, the ONLY way to control this...is to physically control the door letting the cat in/out and you giving the cat a visual inspection before allowing entry to ensure he does not bring inside any 'guests'.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Yup. Cats do love chipmunks and they are such easy prey! We used to have a lot of them when I lived at home and I was forever trying to save them. The silly things would freeze and/or actually run towards the cats!
I wish i had a suggestion but I never came up with a solution. Our cats had to be let in and out so they only left their "gifts" at the front door and didn't bring them in.
Poor little chipmunks. They are so cute!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm trying to think of a creative way for the dog to use the dogdoor and the cat use the front door..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts