Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cat Whisper who is around 16 months old has had a recurring ear problem now for about a year.

He keeps scratching both his ear red raw until the fur is gone and they are bleeding.

At first the vet said it was ear mites. But we have now been back for the same problem about 4 or 5 times! We have stuck to the ear mite drops and although the problem seems to clear up for awhile when using them it always comes back. I can't believe that its ear mites now! We have also been using this Flea treatment that it suppose to treatear mite too.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem???

We are going to take him back to the vet again in the couple of days, and I think I will scream if they give us more ear drops! :( :( :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have they done ear swabs and looked at it under the microscope?

It could be yeast or an infection. What are you using right now for his ears?

If they haven't done an ear swab, I would ask them about it.

If they think that mites might still be a problem, Tresaderm is a good product. It also works well for yeast as well. It has a steroid for inflammation as well. It's not the first line for ear mites but since it also works for yeast, I think it's a good product.

Let us know how the vet appointment goes.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Maybe you should go to another vet to get a 2nd opinion. After that many times of going to the vet and the problem not resolving you need to see someone else who may have more insight to this or do some other tests. Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
368 Posts
What part of the ear is your kitty scratching? Otis was doing the same thing to the base of his ear, and I was sure it was ear mites. The vet finally determined it to be allergies to beef proteins - it took a lot of playing with foods to figure that out, but the beef is gone, and so is the sratching...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts