Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back from the vet one hour ago; I am still in shock. I can't believe this has happened. I feel like I lost my right arm in losing my Bailey. I had Bailey in a room on his own as he wasn't using the cat litter, so I lined the floor with newspaper, he had his toys, food & water bowl and two litter boxes. I allowed him out to keep me company throughout the day. I was in bed this morning and all of a sudden I head this commotion. I was chatting to mum on the phone and I told her something was wrong; I dropped the phone to go to the backyard to investigate. My partner got there moments before I did and he walked into the laundry with Bailey in his arms, Bailey was bleeding from the mouth. He managed to open the louvre windows, I never thought this would be possible. There is a lever and it takes some doing to move it in order for the louvres to open but somehow, someway he did so. He let himself out and walked amongst the dogs, he had no fear of dogs whatsoever. My dogs caught him and attacked him. When I saw my partner walk in with a bleeding Bailey I was hysterical. I screamed. We rushed him to the vet but there was nothing that could be done, the vet suggested putting him to sleep but moments before this took place, Bailey died. I am in shock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I only had him for 2 months but it feels like I had him for ever. He was special and so unique. I never had a cat like him and perhaps will never again. He was unique. We shared some special hours together only yesterday, playing and taking photos of him. Why does life have to be painful? OMG, please, I cant believe I will never be able to touch him again. My partner has just buried him alongside my boxer, Harley, who died a couple of weeks ago to cancer. It is painful enough to lose a pet to old age or illness but it is even more heartwrenching to lose a pet to such a horrible incident. If only I had gone to get him a moment earlier before he opened the louvre window, he would still be with me now; how could I have ever imagined that he would have managed to jump on the lever and open the window? I just feel like going to the liquor store and buy a bottle of bourbon even though I hate the stuff and get totally drunk just to numb the pain, if only for a moment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Im very sorry to hear about Bailey. :patback It will be a tough time for you and even worse im sure that it was so sudden and unpredicted. Sorry again, RIP lil Bailey

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm so sorry about your kitty :( There is no way you could have known that he was capable of opening the window, and he went very quick. Bailey sounds like he was a very sweet and brave/fearless cat. I'm sorry you didn't have more time together, but I can tell you loved him very much while you had him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention that as soon as I arrived at the vet's (a new vet, as my vet is away on vacation), he gave Bailey a needle, when I asked him what it was he said it was for pain relief. I made a point of trying to remember what the name of the product was when I read it to myself, it was BUTORPHANOL. I know that cats are sensitive to certain medication. I carried out a search on Butorphanol and found that it should never be administered to animals that have suffered head trauma which is the case with Bailey. I am still in shock atm so I can't think clearly. I wasn't sure as though I remembered the medication correctly so I called the vet and he repeated the name which I was right about from the start. I am surprised I remembered as I am not the greatest at remembering names.

I would so appreciate your help in this; could you also do a search for me and tell me what you think. I have the doubt that this injection made things worse for Bailey. I have talked to my partner but he likes to look the other way rather than face things head on especially when it comes to animals. He loved Bailey but he was also encouraging me to sell him because of Bailey's issues with the litter tray.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
My heart goes out to you. Its so unfair that this could happen. He had two months of your love. He is on the other side, no pain,running free and waiting to be reunited with you. (((Cyber hugs))) May all the sweet memories comfort you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thats terrible. Im so sorry. Perhaps the vet administered that drug to give bailey relief
and he knew that he couldnt do much to save his life. One thing Ive learned about sorrow in this life is that the brain tends to want to get stuck in a groove going over and over again what you could have done differently somewhat obsessively. Of course, you cant help it in the beginning, thinking about if only you'd closed that window, but getting stuck there repeating that thought and beating yourself up only makes it worse. None of this was your fault at all, how could you possibly know? It was a terrible accident and terrible accidents happen in a world that sometimes is terrible; and even if you could have done something different (theres always going to be something you can think of that could have been different), it doesnt help anything or anyone or make anything better at all, just the opposite. Ive read a few posters that have said that finding a new kitty helped them enormously and that it was never a replacement, just a new lovely friend to make life bearable again...good luck

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I agree with Faithless. I think the vet may well have known there was no hope and wanted to give Baily some peace and painlessness at the end.

I'm sorry for your loss and hope you find peace in knowing that Bailey is free and running pain free over the bridge.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Such an awful way to lose him but you must not blame yourself.
Sending you big *hugs* and hoping the pain passes quickly

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is devastating. I'm SO sorry for your loss. You have to know that there was nothing you could have done or known. This is not your fault. Hang in there. <3

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is completely devastating and I'm so so sorry. There really is no way you could have known or expected him to be able to open those blinds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts